My Book will not power on

I have an old My Book that suddenly will not power on. The power cord is OK. If I take it out of the case, can I replace the component that the power cord and USB plugs into? Model WD 3200 C032-002.

If you take the hard drive out of the case it will not be readable in another case due to encryption.

Can I replace the SATA bridge card?

if you want to … but, it won’t change your data being encrypted

the encryption key is stored on the hard drive.

OK, here’s the thing. I would just like to get the My Book working again. I suspect that the drive is fine, but the power won’t come on. If the bridge card is fried, can’t I just replace it and the drive will run again? If so, what do I need to buy to replace it?

I have ALL my pictures on there, including ones I scanned in from the early 1900s. I don’t want to lose them!

Thanks for your help!

Donna

BTW, I used to work at WD as a tech writer – ancient history, tho.

How did you come to that conclusion ? … the drive could be toast for all you know.

Get all the model / part / revision numbers off the board and go shopping.

keep backups next time … any good tech writer should know that.

Link to WD Data Recovery … as you’ll probably need it.

Thanks, Joey. I think the drive is fine because:

1. I don’t use it that much. Even though I’ve had it for many years (since 2007), I only use it when I want to back up stuff off my computer.
  2. The last time I used it, it worked fine – about 4 months ago
  3. Although I wasn’t using it, it was plugged in and I think it probably overheated in the cabinet I keep it in. I never used to keep it plugged in.

So, what I did was order a used (but working) My Book of the same model number from eBay. I’m going to try to swap either the drive or the bridge card and see if that works. What do you think?

Yes, I will back up my backups from now on. I do have some of it backed up to thumb drives, but not all.

Thanks for responding!

Donna