My Book WE 2TB,,,is it possible to put LARGER sized Harddrives in?

Currently I am looknig at purchasing My Book World Edition 2TB model, but would like the capibility to increase the harddrives once I need to expand…

So basically, my question is: with the 2TB My Book World Edition is it possible to put in a LARGER than 1TB harddrive in each slot?

I understand that the enclosers are all the same so I do not see why not…but I could not find the answer anywhere…

Thanks in advance…

kind regards

As far as I know, you cannot use drives of bigger size that the ones that the box is bundled with. Meaning, that you cannot upgrade the capacity of the NAS using bigger drives.

The NAS will not recognize or will only recognize the size that is pre programmed to.

thanks for the reply oxter…

is what you stated a fact and proven by Western Dig…or just what you have heard…

I contacted WD and they could not give me a definitive answer on the subject…in fact the one person I spoke to admitted he did not know the answer and actually thanked me for asking the question b/c he wanted to find out for himself.  Unfortunatley he was not able to find the answer…

Has anyone tried to put larger HDs in a smalled NAS?

thanks

I tried, and it did not work, I even took my NAS to another friend, just to be sure that it was not me and it did not work at all.

Yes it is. Some people claim they were able to upgrade to 2x3TB disks. However it is not trivial. For more info look here -  http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/ultra-fast-install-for-my-book-world-edition-i-and-ii-white. But note that harddrives have to be the same size and that transfering data to new ones will require backup entire drive and later fill it again over network (or fair amount of knowledge). 

It is possible, I did it two weeks before.

It seems that the MyBook World II stores some information on the HDDs.

Anyway it is very easy without any hacks or knowledge if your device is new (no important data on it) or you have a possibility to backup your data somewhere else. I described what I did in this thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/Upgrade-MyBook-World-II-2x1TB-to-2x3TB/td-p/250298