My Book Studio

How can I tell if my “My Book Studio” came with 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm.  It seems to me it should come with 7200.  

Yes,

All WD MyBook Studio is using the 7200 RPM drive, 5 yrs warranty.

The other only carry 3 yrs warranty with 5400 RPM. 

I read some reviews that said WD was using 5400 rpm in some of the hard drives at their discretion.  Is this true, or is it definitive that all come with 7200?

Thanks

You probably have read the old review.

I bought one of 2TB WD My Book Studio during X-Mas, It is 7200 RPM drive. It is black label, not green.

It is louder (noise) than my 500GB WD MyBook Essential (black cover) drive.

My 1T MyBook Studio (with eink label) comes with 3yr warranty…so it should be green.

koyeung,

What were you trying to say?  I don’t understand what you wrote.

Thanks

accordingly to previous post, 3yr warranty would imply non-7200rpm disk.

If so, it is likely my drive is Green drive (which is silent in operation).

Hi koyeung,

Please proceed with the following steps :

• If using XP, click start>Run then type devmgmt.msc followed by ENTER

• If using Visa/7, just click Start then type devmgmt.msc followed by ENTER

This will open the device manager. Double click the section called “Disk Drives”, you will see the list of hard drives on your computer. Locate your external hard drive, and then please reply to this post with the exact name that is listed there.

If you are not sure which one it is, just give us the whole list and I will tell you the RPM’s of each…

Ciao,

Simo

Sorry, I just realized you posted this in the MAC section. I have no idea how you can get your device name on a Mac, but if you can find it, just let me know and I’ll try to get you the RPM.

Device name should look like WDC WDxxxxxxx

Sorry, I just realized you posted this in the MAC section. I have no idea how you can get your device name on a Mac, but if you can find it, just let me know and I’ll try to get you the RPM.

Device name should look like WDC WDxxxxxxx.

Example : WDBAAJ0020HSL

there is a P/N labelled:

WDBAAJ0010HSL-00

What are you referring to when you talk about the black label or the green label?

Thanks

resqueme,

The green label is an energy saver.

It spins at 5400 RPM to save energy.

Quieter drive, cooler.

The black label is a performance drive.

It spins at 7200 RPM at full speed.

Noisier, More heat, More performance.

And where would I find this label, on the box it came in, or the machine itself?

Thanks

resqueme,

The label on the physical hard drive itself.

Not on the outside of the drive enclosure.

Note: Do not open the drive enclosure or break any seals, it will  void the warranty.

Then how are you supposed to find out which one you have?  And if it is by model #,  where do you go to find out which one you have?  Sorry for the many questions, I am trying to do my research so that I know what I am getting.

Thanks

Simobk wrote:

Please proceed with the following steps :

• If using XP, click start>Run then type devmgmt.msc followed by ENTER

• If using Visa/7, just click Start then type devmgmt.msc followed by ENTER

This will open the device manager. Double click the section called “Disk Drives”, you will see the list of hard drives on your computer. Locate your external hard drive, and then please reply to this post with the exact name that is listed there.

If you are not sure which one it is, just give us the whole list and I will tell you the RPM’s of each…

Here they are thanks for the help.

My Book Studio:  WDBAAJ0020HSL

My Book Studio Edition 11:   WDH2Q40000

A Google search with your P/N returns that it is a 7200 rpm  ;)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=WDBAAJ0010HSL+rpm&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=