My Book Studio Won't Turn on After Firmware Update

So I opened my Smartware Utility app today and it prompted me to update the firmware and so I did. Downloaded the firmware, followed the steps, yes I am on USB, and the power is plugged into the wall. Restarted everything, now my external won’t boot.

I looked around other posts, people have similar problems, but they’re all back in May. 

I tried unplugging it and replugging it, nothing worked.

Tried restarting the firmware updater utility. Didn’t work. - It says failed to update.

Tried using the updating utility on Windows. Didn’t work. On both XP SP3 and 7. - “Studio Firmware Updater v1.012 (1.0.8.0)” Crashed after pressing the update firmware button. 

“WDFirmwareUpdater” (Newest update utility) can’t find my drive.

I have important data on there and I would like it back ASAP. I’m really panicking. 

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

IMPORTANT: The following precautions should be taken before installing the firmware update.

• Before updating the firmware on your drive, make sure you have a copy of all the data on your drive stored on a separate device.
1 Like

Thank you for that.

As I’ve stated earlier, I have read the instructinos and warnings. There’s no need to tell me that again after it’s happened.

I was unable to back up my 2TB file since that was my primary backup source and the other availible drive was my 128GB SSD drive on my Mac.

I’m looking for a solution, not a repost of the instructions or warnings. Thanks.

There are no solutions, if a firmware update fails the drive is pretty much dead. Some users have said that trying the firmware update on Windows after it has failed on a Mac will bring it back to life, other than that you’ll just have to call WD for a replacement drive.

Just curious,

Why on earth would Western Digital leave the freaking firmware on their website if they are completely aware that the firmware will screw up people’s hard drive?

Because it only kills the drive IF it fails, that’s why they give you a warning and tell you to backup the data before you try it. With warning you they make their part, if you choose to not follow everything by the book then you’re just pushing your luck.

No one is forcing you to update, so IF you decide to do it you should at least do EVERYTHING as instructed, or just wait until you can.

Again: Try it on Windows, if it doesn’t work then call WD for a replacement, nothing else can be done at all.

And the chances of that happening is unacceptably high… If you just search thru the forum, you’ll know what I mean.

hiohokaybye wrote:

And the chances of that happening is unacceptably high… If you just search thru the forum, you’ll know what I mean.

Yeah, and all of them had data on the drive and nowhere else, skipping the very first warning and just pushing their luck, and then it runs out and can’t accept responsibility for not following the precautions and then start blaming WD for having the update available.

I have seen this so many times in here that it’s already a routine, and I’m still amazed it still happens. For the third time, try the firmware update on Windows, if it doesn’t work then call WD for a replacement since nothing else can be done at all. I know I sound cold, harsh and insensitive, but that’s the reality.

Because, you know, an average person would have a backup of their backup drive, that’s just so convenient. 

hiohokaybye wrote:

Because, you know, an average person would have a backup of their backup drive , that’s just so convenient. 

You can not be any more wrong than this.

A “backup” means BY DEFINITION to have the exact same data on at least two completely separate, independent and unrelated devices at the same time in case one is to fail. If the data is not mirrored on 2 places then by all means, standards and definitions, YOU DON’T HAVE A BACKUP.

That huge misunderstanding and misconception of the definition of a backup is costing you your data. That drive is NOT your backup drive because it is the PRIMARY source of your data, not a SECONDARY COPY.

No matter WHO makes a drive, the quality, the reputation and the reviews, NEVER EVER leave your data on one single location because it’s just as safe as the internal drive of your computer and has the exact same chances of failing. If you need an external drive to store the information your computer can’t store due to lack of space, then BUY TWO, preferable from different brands and have them have the same info, any other thing is NOT a backup.

If you are not having problem with the drive or software I wouldn’t bother with the firmware updates. I haven’t updated mine. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it is sometimes the best policy.

Joe

1 Like