My book long seek times

I have a WD 250GB My book. Lately there has been difficulty accessing the drive. I’ll go to access it and have to wait several minutes for the drive to be ready to access files. If I try to save something, I again have to wait several minutes for the drive to be ready. It gets to the point where Windows (Windows 10) reports the application is not responding. There’s nothing I can do to get Windows explorer to close out. This is happening quite often.

Recently, I got the following error message when trying to access the drive: Semaphore timeout period has expired. I accessed the command prompt and ran chkdsk /f. No errors were found. I moved the USB cable to another USB port and that seemed to work briefly.

I take it that the issues I’m experiencing are indicators of a pending drive failure or maybe a bad sector?

Edit: The whole computer is locked up because of the My book drive. I can’t access any other drivers. I’m trying to restart the computer and even that’s not working. The restart is taking forever because it seems that the My book drive is still trying to be read since the light keeps flashing.

Hi cbrookhart,

Have you tried to change the USB cable?

Also, you should Test your drive for problem using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows.

Please refer to the link given below in order to how to Test your drive for problem using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=940

Without having changed anything, the drive came back online in Windows. I
moved some of the data off the drive.

On another site where I asked about this issue, it was suggested that the
controller card has or is going bad.

It will be several days before I can look into using the tool suggested.