My Book Live Without Internet

Hi everyone, I am attempting to do my research for this product before I buy it. 

I am curious to know whether or not the “My Book Live” will work if connected to a router that has no internet.  Essentially, I need multiple computers to be able to read images from this device and display it, without the use of internet. 

Everything would be connected through a router, just there wouldn’t be any internet.

Thanks,

Brian

Just about all NAS devices work within a LAN.

Internet access is just an extra option.

With no internet, you will NOT be able to update firmware, in case that is necessary. Or use the WD2GO mobile apps.

bspeice wrote:

Hi everyone, I am attempting to do my research for this product before I buy it. 

I am curious to know whether or not the “My Book Live” will work if connected to a router that has no internet.  Essentially, I need multiple computers to be able to read images from this device and display it, without the use of internet. 

Everything would be connected through a router, just there wouldn’t be any internet.

Thanks,

Brian

it works just fine without internet, but as Shabuboy said you wont be able to use any of the remote features, or apply any firmware updates

Every one says that the mybook Live will work on a wireless router without internet access. I can say that it is definitely not true. I have two of these drives for my office. When the cable went out after a huge snow storm, all access to both drives was lost. While it was not particularly devastating, archived records, and other data required for day to day operations was not available. We still had power and wifi signal, just no internet and no access to the mybooks.

well i dont know what to tell you ive been in situtations where i was without internet and i always had access to the drive, in fact i used it more then ever to stream movies to pc’s and tv’s

maybe your LAN was set to use a DNS server outside your LAN, and the URL wouldn’t resolve.  You should still be able to get to the dashboard but manually entering the IP.