My Book Live Security Concern

Hi Guys

I just installed the my book live, it is awesome I am just wondering about security. As I see it, anyone who has my wifi password and is near the device who has WD2Go installed on their device could access it with out any password… then when they are outside the house they could access it any where in the world. I am not in the habbit of telling people my wifi password but I would of thought this device came with atleast a password to get into it…

Let me know if there is a way, also feel free to tell me if im being paranoid!!

Tom

What you can do is to create Private Shares. Private Shares won’t allow access to Users who are not manually granted permissions on the Dashboard configuration page. However, the Public Share will always remain public. 

A local alternative while on your home network is to only grant Guest access if your router supports this feature.

Regards,

I have the same concern, as I only want the MyBookLive to be available to computers on my home network.

I do have secured WiFI.

I have no need to access it from anywhere else and I definitely do not want it accessible by anyONE else!

How do I create a private share?

Thanks!

OK, found the dashboard  (possibly for the first time!)

First disabled remote access to the device completely.

Then added a password.   When I brought up Windows Explorer and clicked on the mapped drive, it did not ask for a password.     I assume this is either because it only asks during remote access or because the drive was already mapped.

So now to access files on the device, someone would have to

1. Think I had files worth the effort.

2. Get past my wifi security without knowing my router user id and password, then…

3. Figure out the device IP address.

4. Get past the fact the device is configured to deny remote access.

5. Somehow access the device also without knowing the password I just added to it.

If that is all correct, I think I can rest easy about storing very private files on it, even if I don’t create private shares.   (Which I may still do…finding the Dashboard makes the answer to my earlier question pretty obvious.)

Thanks for your response!

thanks - how do I create a private share? I cant find out how to do it on the Windows 8 desktop app…

also how do I get to the Dashboard configeration page? Is it an app on windows 8?

Have you read the manual?

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=230&type=25