My Book Live - melted / almost caused a fire

Hi Kevin,

Luckily nobody got hurt!

I also have been having trouble last 2 months retrieving my data (Connection refused to UI and private share - #2 by Jonty.S) and now the only thing left seems to be open it up and screw the hard drive out of it. If it is not damaged, this can be done and get the data off it. On youtube you can find an instruction video on how to carefully open up the device (there is a trick to that) and get the disk out safely. To get the data from your disk, there are several ways. One is to buy an external harddisk enclosure and connect the hard drive to your PC with USB. Then you need to get the data off with a program from this link: Third Party Data Recovery Software Options for Windows and macOS. I was advised to use “Paragon” by the helpdesk.
Alternatively, you can try the easy way out like I am trying right now. I bought a diskless WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra, where I should be able to slide my old harddisk in in one of its 2 slots. Unless the old password is a problem, this should be working and I should be able to access my data again. Just received it though, so I’m just about to install it. Also bought a new WD40EFAX 4Tb harddrive to go in the other slot. Hope this works!

Edit: It now looks like every disk that is inserted in the My Cloud EX2 Ultra first needs to be formatted, in that case it wouldnt work to retrieve the data. Will keep you posted.