My Book Live 2 TB Won't Show On Network List

Hello I just recently started having this problem where my 2 TB My book live won’t show up on my network drive list. I can still access my files by going through the smartware app and opening the folder that way and I can also access my files through my mapped drives.  My drive is showing it has the most current firmware (MyBookLive 02.41.05-034 : Core F/W) I am using a win 7 desktop and laptop and a win 8 laptop that won’t show up on the network drive list . I would like to have the drive show up again as opposed to having it mapped so I don’t wake up the drive as often, any and all help is appreciated.

It’s either a Master Browser issue or you disabled Network sharing on your computers somehow.

Do ANY networked devices show up under Computer in the network window?

Read this

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Then try running this tool on your network

http://scottiestech.info/download/LANscan_v1.4.zip

Do you have a machine that shows as MASTER after running that program?

You can actually make the MyBookLive take over as Master Browser if you like to tinker

SSH in with Terminal or PuTTY

nano /etc/samba/smb-global.conf

Change
preferred master = auto
to
preferred master = yes

os level = 5
to
os level = 255

Hit control and o

Hit enter

Hit control and x

Now type

reboot

Now reboot your entire network and the MBL will win the master browser election and take over as the master browser

Other computer do show up on my network window so I am assuming Network sharing is still on. I would like to tackle the Master Browser issue now but nothing comes up when I run LANscan, it returns “System error 6118 has occurred. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.”  I have tried resetting everything and I still cant get anything to show up.  I would like to try and set the MBL as the master browser, I just need a few more detailed steps.

You’re not running VMWARE on your computer by chance are you? I ran into some errors using Lanscan and had to disable the VMWARE network adapters to get the tool working properly.

Anyways, to setup the MBL as Master Browser

Step 1 ) First you need to turn on SSH in the MyBookLive dashboard. To do this go to your dashboard and in your address bar change the URL from

your mybooklive ip or name /UI/

to

your mybooklive ip or name /UI/ssh

Tick the enable SSH box

Step 2) If you are on a MAC login using Terminal app included with OSX

Open Terminal and type

ssh root@mybooklive.local

OR

ssh root@youmybooklive’s ip address

OR

ssh root@your mybooklive’s network name.local

and then hit enter and when asked, enter welc0me for the password

If you are a Windows user, download PuTTY from http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe

Enter the MyBookLive IP or Network device name in the window, port 22, tick SSH and click open

Now we need to enter the login information
type root for the username and hit enter
type welc0me for the password and hit enter
(The password text won’t show up in the PuTTY window)

Step 3) in the PuTY window type

nano /etc/samba/smb-global.conf

Use your arrow keys to move around the text in the window and change the following settings

Change
preferred master = auto
to
preferred master = yes

os level = 5
to
os level = 255

Hit control and o

Hit enter

Hit control and x

This will save your changes

Now type

reboot

Now reboot your entire network and the MBL will win the master browser election and take over as the master browser

Here is sample PuTTY output

login as: root
root@192.168.1.6's password:
Linux MyBookLive 2.6.32.11-svn52288 #1 Wed Oct 26 18:57:59 PDT 2011 ppc

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.

Disclaimer: SSH provides access to the network device and all its
content, only users with advanced computer networking and Linux experience
should enable it. Failure to understand the Linux command line interface
can result in rendering your network device inoperable, as well as allowing
unauthorized users access to your network. If you enable SSH, do not share
the root password with anyone you do not want to have direct access to all
the content on your network device.

MyBookLive:~# nano /etc/samba/smb-global.conf
  GNU nano 2.0.7 File: /etc/samba/smb-global.conf

[global]
  load printers = no
  printing = bsd
  printcap name = /dev/null
  disable spoolss = yes
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd
  max log size = 50
  dead time = 15
  security = user
# auth methods = guest, sam_ignoredomain, winbind:ntdomain
  encrypt passwords = yes
  passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd
  create mask = 0775
  directory mask = 0775
  local master = yes
  domain master = no
  preferred master = auto
  os level = 5
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
                               [Read 32 lines]
^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur **bleep**
^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Text^T To Spell
1 Like

No I am not running any VMWARE. But i was able to follow your steps of setting the My Book Live as the Master Browser. This seemed to fix my issue of not being able to see the My Book Live on my network list.  I was able to run LANscan now with no error but the results seem a little troubling. I am not sure if it will cause a problem in the future but LANscan shows that the My Book Live and my computer are both Master. Any thoughts. LANScan2.JPG

I can’t see your picture yet but try shutting down the PC that shows as master and then boot it back up and try running the tool again. The PC should bow out as master browser as the MBL has a higher OS level

If that doesn’t work I may need to see if TonyPh12345 can help you out as he is a network guru :slight_smile:

warblade1022 is this issue resolved?

warblade1022 wrote:

No I am not running any VMWARE. But i was able to follow your steps of setting the My Book Live as the Master Browser. This seemed to fix my issue of not being able to see the My Book Live on my network list.  I was able to run LANscan now with no error but the results seem a little troubling. I am not sure if it will cause a problem in the future but LANscan shows that the My Book Live and my computer are both Master. Any thoughts. LANScan2.JPG

That’s naughty.   Two boxes *CANNOT* be master browser for the same workgroup.

I’d reboot BOTH boxes.  Start with the want the SHOULD be the master browser.   Wait at least 5 minutes after it’s up and running before starting the next system.

I was waiting for you to jump in here Tony :slight_smile:

Any idea why the MyBookLive would show up when it is the master browser but not when the PC was the master browser?

I have never ran into 2 master browsers on a network before. I always thought 1 device would win out on the election?

Any idea why the MyBookLive would show up when it is the master browser but not when the PC was the master browser?

The fact that it appears to be a browser issue on the PC itself could influence it both ways.

I have never ran into 2 master browsers on a network before. I always thought 1 device would win out on the election?

That’s certainly the intent of the election process.  I’ve never seen more than one, either.   I have, on rare instances, seen where there were NO master browsers, and an election going on continuously.

In that particular case, it seemed that the winner of the election just would never assume the role.  Obviously a code error in that version of Samba (it was a linux system.)