I have been unable to update the firmware on a My Book Home Edition 1.5tb drive to version 1.034. My PC is running 64bit Windows 7.
- File Name: WD_MB_Home_1034_1_03.zip
- File Size: 1.92 MB
- Version: Firmware Version 1.034
I have followed all official instructions including:
- Uninstall WD Drive Manager.
- Disable anti-virus and anti-spyware.
- Connect only one drive and make it a USB connection.
- Shutdown all other software, including non-essential hidden processes.
I also rebooted, searched the web, and scratched my head.
More intel on my 3 identical My Book drives:
- Firmware 1.028
- Purchased Nov 27th, 2009 @ Best Buy
- Used only for data backups, with CrashPlan and the Win7 backup utility.
I wouldn’t update the firmware if I weren’t having these problems:
- Windows 7 will *not* shutdown while there’s a My Book connected via eSATA. Win 7 freezes with the desktop image visible, just after the desktop icons disappear. I’m forced to cut power to the PC to shut it off - disconnecting the eSATA drive doesn’t help.
- Various minor quirks in USB mode.
A friend with the same drives and operating system has the same issues.
It’s also clear on these forums and on the web that I’m not the only one unable to update the firmware on a My Book Home Edition drive.
The latest WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic version finds no problems on my drives using a quick scan. I’ll do a complete scan tonight.
Any further ideas?