My Book Essential problem

After my computer started backup last night, I woke up this morning and it said backup failed, and the blue light was flashing constantly. The WD WinDLG show its SMART status as ok, but doing a quick test it immediately gives the error

“write sector error, check cables”

When I unplugged it, and plugged it back in, it showed up in windows and I could access my files, but after a few minutes, it started making a contant clicking noise, but I could still access my files.

Is this thing failing? Should I send it in for RMA?

If the drive is making a clicking or clunking noise that is not normal and can be a sign of a failing unit. The error that you received from DLG could be a bad cable or trouble communicating with the drive through your computers controller card. You can try changing the cable or testing the drive on another system. Also, if you are using Windows 7, you may get an error since DLG is not currently supported on Windows 7. If you are still having problems with the unit, then I would recommend replacing it through an RMA and see how the replacement unit works for you.