My Book Essential nows fails to back up after firmware update

I have just updated My Book Essential 1TB external drive to  firmware version 2.003 and the WD SmartWare to version 1.3.0.16. Now the drive no longer backs up and files can no longer be retrieved. Both processes were declared sucessful and the drive has been re-booted as per installation instructions.  I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. Is there a way to rescue the drive or must it be erased and returned to vendor? It has been in my posession for a week.

Nota Bene: Do not update.

I have the same problem, I can see all the files on the drive if I look via windows but it wont recognise any to back up.

I have been able to resolve the issue by removing the MyBook drive (that is, disconnecting it safely from the computer), uninstalling WD Smartware, and re-connecting the drive. This allows the re-installation of WD Smartware version 1.2.0.20 off the drive. Thankfully, the firmware is not the problem and can remain updated.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I have now done this and are starting my amazingly slow back up again but at least its working again!!