My Book Essential - not for productive uses

WIN XP PRO SP3 - what I needed was expanded storage for my work, what I got was not additional useable disk space.  The attachment was USB so I expected slower performance, but not what I get now, sporadic system wide hangs lasting from 30sec to 20min!  No particular trigger, just using files on the device.  The light starts flashing and nothing can be done, no changing of windows, no starting of tasks, nothing.  If the task mananger window is already up and running, no cpu consumption increase is indicated.  Other times only tasks using the external drive hang and other tasks can be used.  Whatever, this device is NOT additional disk storage for your machine.  Perhaps the backup functionality is useful, I have not attempted to use it.

I also have a My Book Essential which I use everyday and I haven’t had any kind of problems with the drive and the software that comes with it.-

Very interesting… I am currently comparing and updating 2 sets of files and folders.  The reason I have time for this forum now is that every few files the tasks like an explorer display for this work hang while the disk status light blinks and I read and respond here while waiting for it to come back.  I have my outlook PST on the drive and I can go through 10 or 20 items and then the next  item hangs the system.  I run a Java build and execution application which resides on the drive and three times in row it runs fine and then the fourth time the tasks hang for 1-10min.  Like I indicated, there seems to be no triggering event in particular except accessing the drive.  By-The-way one of the things the task manager does show during these hangs is the task status is “not responding”

wkstone wrote:

WIN XP PRO SP3 - what I needed was expanded storage for my work, what I got was not additional useable disk space.

Whatever, this device is NOT additional disk storage for your machine.

• *> Of course NOT,  an external drive is not going to RAID with your internal drive to add  “additional space” as a single spanned volume. ALL external drives are seen by your computer as an additional volume on its own that works for extra space, just so you know.> On the other hand, the speed and performance issues that you get are not normal, I’d run a test for errors and overall drive health if I were you…

I was not referring to making one big drive, I have it as an additional drive, seperate drive letter and such.  Did MS error check, passed, did WD supplied checks, passed, did all available microcode updates.  No joy… tried defragment… no better… In fact I am suffering through the delays right now :cry: