My Book Essential installation problem (probably SmartWare error)

I installed the latest firmware and virtual CD software.   Under device manager, the hard disk drive is fine, and the WD SmarWare device is also okay.  Prior to the latest firmware update, the SmartWare device gave an error message that could not be corrected.

However, now there are two errors in device manager under the “IDE ATA/ATAPI controller” section.  If I uninstall each of the problems, they reappear upon login.   Checking the Application log under the Event Manager, I see two identical messages corresponding to the two devices mentioned above:

“Activation context generation failed for “C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WD Drive Manager\MFC80U.DLL”. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC,processorArchitecture=“amd64”,publicKeyToken=“1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b”,type=“win32”,version=“8.0.50608.0” could not be found.”

Any ideas how to fix these?  I haven’t noticed any loss in functionality, but I haven’t set up the backup features yet.  I had put in a password, but I removed it, fearing that a device mgr. problem could make my data unusable.   Are there new copies of the problem DLL?  Or can these files be removed without consequences?  Or is it better just to remove all traces of the SmartWare software and use the disk as a “normal external hard disk”?  Thanks

[text deleted] 

However, now there are two errors in device manager under the “IDE ATA/ATAPI controller” section.  If I uninstall each of the problems, they reappear upon login.   Checking the Application log under the Event Manager, I see two identical messages corresponding to the two devices mentioned above:

Is this new problem after installing WD SmartWare/My Book Essential?

This looks like your system drive’s yellow bang from device manager if your computer is old.

If not old, you may change IDE/SATA setting in your BIOS.

This issue will be persistent until yellow bang is taken care of with correct setting/drivers.

I had put in a password, but I removed it, fearing that a device mgr. problem could make my data unusable.

I am not 100% certain, but your IDE ATA/ATAPI controller issue and My Book Essential functionality should be independent.

Are you using XP with SP3?

Can you see USB drive under Disk under Device Manager & WD SES driver under Device Manager?  If so, your My Book Essential is enumerated properly.