My Book Essential 3 TB not listed in My computer, disk management, device manager

Hello, I have a problem with two My book drives - 2TB - 3TB both are full.

These drives spin up fine, no noise at all however they are not recognized in my computer,

disk management or device manager.

I did some Google research and learned that you cannot simply remove the hard drive and install

it into a desk top PC because windows will  be unable to read the data since it is encrypted as its

written to the disk through the control board.

Obviously both of these My Book drives are in need of new control boards, I have gone through all of the elimination

checks recommended to connection of the drives in these forums.

If anyone knows of another solution before I purchase new control boards please come forth.

The 3 TB is still in warranty however, I just don’t want to swap all my data for another blank drive.

Control boards are about $25 each, I feel I have spent enough for these drives already.

Regards

You might look onEbay for a board. This link explains abit about matching them up http://community.wd.com/t5/Off-Topic-Discussions/Bridge-Boards/td-p/353839  It sounds strange that both drives go bad at the same time. Are you sure it isn’t a problem with the computer in the USB path? Have you tried plugging the power directly into the outlet instead of a surge protector? Also don’t use a hub or a cable longer than the one provided. Have you tried themon a different PC?

Joe

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, yes I followed all the instructions you have listed and  from the links here to resolve this issue

also the 2 TB drive quit about 8 months prior to the 3 TB drive, I did register the 3TB drive and it is in warranty

but Im going to want to recover the data.

I have an open ticket with support and they suggested what you have here, I replied to them that it did not work

and that I believe the control board is bad and that I have found in many reviews from electronic retailers

that there are many people with this issue.

After that message, support must have taken an offense because they haven’t contacted for 3 days now.

I believe your right, I have found a seller with this board and the other, they are $25 each, I was trying to avoid that

but it looks like there’s no other way.

Thanks for that link for maching up the boards, I’ll make good use of that before buying.

Regards