My Book Duo USB3 wakes while Mac sleeps

Even though I eject the drive before sleeping my MBP, I have several “drive was not ejected properly” messages (looks like about one per hour ish) on the screen when I wake my Mac next. Last time I even powered off the USB3 ExpressCard34 that the drive is plugged into, but it still woke up while the Mac was asleep! The drive sleeps itself while connected if I don’t use it for 30 minutes, so why would it wake up when the Mac is asleep?

Anyone have any idea how I can make the drive stay asleep until the Mac really does wake up??? I don’t really want to unplug it every time I slep. The drive is required almost every time I’m using the Mac.

I’m using Yosemite.

Thanks

J

Hi there and welcome to the WD community.

Does the same thing happen when you connect the drive directly to the computer instead of an adapter?

Hi

I haven’t tried that, my MBP only has USB2 ports so normally I won’t be plugging it in directly. I am happy to test that though as it does make sense. If it works plugged directly in to the MBP then we know what the problem is! *sigh*

I’ll test it and repost.

J

Hi

I plugged it into one of the MBP’s own USB2 ports, slept the MAc for a couple of hours and on restart there were a slew of unexpected disconection errors and a dialog saying the mirror was corrupt and I should run the diagnostics. I clicked run diagnostics and the diagnostics started, but hung on a white window. I unplugged the drive from the USB2 port, plugged it into the USB3 card, Force quitted the diagnostics, restarted them manually and the drive is fine. 

I think I’ll stick with the USB3 port from now on…