My Book and Windows 10

I have just encountered this issue; My Book shows on Device Manager but not the File Explorer, even tho plugging it in results in the multitone recognition. Have tried most of the options mentioned(e.g. unplugging, rebooting, and different USB port). However, In Disk Management, Disk 0 shows up in partition 2 and 4 versions. Below that is Disk 2, unknown and not initialized. Right clicking that does not result in ‘Create Simple Volume’ but rather “initialize disk”, then a drop down showing Disk 2 checked and MBR partition style. Clicking OK results in an error message: “incorrect function”.
What do you suggest?

Addendum: Right clicking Disk 2, also shows ‘offline’ and when I click that, get the same error message: “incorrect function”.

For anyone who may come across this…After upgrading to windows 10 I couldn’t access my WD harddrive. What fixed it for me was downloading WD utilities from here. Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support Select ‘WD Drive Utilities for Windows’ for Windows or Mac, and open up the utilities. I realized that it asked for a password that I set years ago. After entering it, my Windows 10 immediately recognized it. Hope this helps.

how do I installed this driver WD SES Driver . I have the same issuse/ Does not show up on my computer

Hello RDinNY,
I know this is obviously an old post, but I’m having this exact issue out of nowhere. This external drive, My Book 4T, imo is still new compared to my other WD external drives that still work.
Did you ever find a solution?
I too have files, photos, and projects as a graphic artist that I really can’t lose if AT ALL POSSIBLE.

If you see this and can reply, a huge thanks in advance. Otherwise, it’s understandable and I’ll keep searching.

Never got it to work. Was told I could send the drive back and get a new one. That was not acceptable, nor was paying someone a lot of money to TRY to rescue my files. I lost a lot of files, as well as wasted money

Sorry to hear that! I’ve tried a few things and probably just made it worse. It’s weird that it just quit right at the end of a project and appeared to be wiped of files. Luckily I backed SOME of them up, but I lost countless family photos and art files. Lesson learned for me. Although, I think the fact that WD My Book devices getting hacked should have been bigger news to forewarn customers. Anyway, Ty for responding.