My Book 8TB - Quite noisy

Hi

It’s been quite a few years since I last had a My Book so I’m sure things have changed a bit - my last few external drives have been 4TB Passports which I love but this time I needed a bigger space.

I find the new 8TB drive quite noisy, its clicks and ticks when its used and it makes a nose as if something is being dragged backwards when it starts - yet performance seems fine as does SMART and a quick scan of the drive. I’m going to do a full scan one night but Im starting to think it might just e a thing with these bigger drives?

I’m curious about this too. Mine makes what feels like a vibration very frequently which is annoying because you can feel it and heard it. Just wondering if this a normal thing or do I need to replace before I lose my data.

Just bought mine two months ago.

NOISY OPERATION – when My Book 8TB is powered on, the whole case vibrates at a base frequency that carries through the rubber feet to my desk surface. It sounds roughly like a pronounced 60-cycle hum that I cannot endure. It contributes excessively to noise fatigue.

In order to keep using this drive, I have cut double-layer pieces of corrugated cardboard to place under the rubber feet of the drive (preserving the airflow gap). The hum from my desk surface is gone and I am happy.

I request WD to cure the problem through better engineering for the benefit of future customers (including me).

[ I also hear sounds when the drive is starting up and reading/writing. They seem quite normal considering the extreme acceleration the armature undergoes. They tell me the mechanism is working. ]