My 1tb external HD is no longer recognized

Hi there,

I have a 1tb WD passbook that was working fine until about a week ago.

I noticed it would not show up. So I bought a new cord and it did show up for a moment but I could not access any of my files.

So I have already tried changing the cords.

But then it would not even be recognized. I will plug it in and it will make some funny noises as it tried to work but then after a minute of so it just comes up with ‘It is not recognized’ or something along those lines…

It sometimes makes a small click noise…but its definitely not the click of death ( I have experienced that before and it sounds completely different.

I also tried using a different mac but the same thing happened.

Does anyone have any ideas that I can try to try and recover my files? I really don’t know if I can afford for them to be extracted by a professional. I hope I can somehow fix it myself.

Any info would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Phoebe

Hello,

Is that a desktop version or a portable unit. The clicking noise could be a power issue. if the drive is a desktop version, make sure that the power adapter is connected directly to the wall outlet.

Can you please share the model number of your drive?

@fabulous_phoebz,

You haven’t responded yet, since you’re saying its a passbook, we are not sure if you’re talking about a My Book or a Passport. Which is it.

Hi there,

It is a passbook. I did try connecting it to a power outlet and nada

As for the model…do I have to open it up to find it?

I don’t know what I have done but the issue has been resolved…for now! Thank you everyone for the help.

-p

1 Like

hi,

thanks buddy for reply.
My passport 07A8 is not initialiase.

I know hard disk is ok, it was not working one and half month before, i tried various data recovery software as well as linux, i solved problem of detection also, but i dont know exactly what happened, whether its driver problem or data recovery software etc.

I know now why problem occurs, as when i switched detected drive from win 8.1 to Old Win Xp laptop as i have two laptop, after connecting it with Win Xp, again initiaze problem comes in Win 8.1, thats why its not working.

My harddisk is 1TB. MBR is ok,but i dont want to loss any my data in the hard disk.
Give some simple way or procedure to retrieve again lost partition whether GPT or MBR, as this is root cause for problem. so that again harddisk can detect in the system.

I’m glad you got it working.

You need to make sure that the file format is NTSF and not exFAT. I don’t think XP reads exFAT. Or, you may need to download something from Microsoft to allow XP to read it.

I know you don’t want to lose your data, but you’re playing with fire having it all on that one drive without another backup. Remember, a backup isn’t a backup until it’s the second drive of redundant data.

Hi Bill,

you are correct but how to retrieve NTFS partition as it already corrupt when switch between old and new windows system.

1TB WD harddisk only used for New system?
How to get data recovery software as data is more than 10 GB as normal software provide free backup support upto 1GB only.

Oh, I thought you said that you were able to read your data again. If you can access it on another PC, you will need to get another drive and copy all the data onto that drive making sure that drive is formatted in MBR with the NTFS file structure, and you should be good to go on any pc. Then you can reformat the current drive you’re having issues with.

If you don’t have access to the data, then you will need to either find a recovery software that restores the partition so you can recover your data, or you will need to send the drive to data recovery.

Now, having said all that, you won’t be able to recover any data that is corrupted, no matter what you do.

But bill how can we recover data? is there any software as now it is not initialized in Data lifeguard software also, i am not able to do Deep Scan. Please suggest…

You will need to go to data recovery in order to recover your data. If the drive is spinning, data recovery software might read it; but I couldn’t guarantee that. Below is a link to our data recovery partners.