Must wait 15 minutes to see my pc

mkelley : have you tried to see if you have the same touble with starting xp before seven ?

Yes I have and I cannot duplicate the problem (however I need to wait until tomorrow to fully test all possibilities, because my wife uses her XP computer too much for me to leave it completely out of the equation, so I need to wait until she’s at work).

I will report (in a new thread) what I discover (hopefully by Monday evening).

I had a very similar problem where the network shares would work and then they wouldn’t. I downloaded a program called browstat.exe from microsoft. install it then start a command promt and type in (browstat sta)  without quotes and hit enter. it will tell you which computer is the master browser. if it says that wdlivetv is the master then your shares will dissapear after about15 min. The fix that works for me is to  make sure wdtvlive is off then go to services appelet on your pc an stop the computer browser sevice and then restart it. then open a command promt and type in browstat sta  now your pc should be the master browser and if you start wdtvlive your shares should work. hope this helps  it works for me.

I remain unconvinced master browser has anything at all to do with the situation – my tests have shown it matters not a whit what is the “master browser” nor what order (or not) PCs or even my NAS is on or not.

Something else is occuring but as long as you’ve found a fix that’s really all that matters.

I’ve had the same issue’s: whenever my WDTV Live would be master browser, it would be dead slow to see my shares. Disabling the WDTV’s ability to become master browser solved it. I think this can only be done by the homebrew version. Anyway, you have to add the line:

local master    = no

To your /conf/smb.conf file and your problems are gone.

Oh, btw, I also applied the 2 registry tweaks to my PC:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services \Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster should be set to: True

and that MaintainServerList set to : Yes

Those alone don’t solve the problem, but in combination with that smb.conf tweak it does.

I am sorry can you discribe what you did with more details?

I have exactly this problem and mylanviewer fixed it but I want more solid solution since it’s trial

Dddaya wrote:

I am sorry can you discribe what you did with more details?

I have exactly this problem and mylanviewer fixed it but I want more solid solution since it’s trial

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Solution-to-network-shares-problem/td-p/27062

i gave the solution here !

gigxy wrote:
i gave the solution here !

Ah, I’ve read back the thread. Yeah but your solution doesn’t make sure the WDTV can’t become master browser: you can still get problems.