Moving Data from MyCloud to Synology DS118

I know it has taken a while but I can longer live with the MYCLOUD device. I did purchase a DS118 with a Seagate 4TB Ironwolf drive.

It is really all I need, and is a significant step up from the MyCloud.

So looking at your post to transfer my MyCloud shares, especially my Public Shared Music Folder that I use for streaming, how would I connect the MyCloud to the DDS118, USB to USB, Ethernet to Ethernet, etc. I have no need to move all the Time Machine data. I will just leave it as is, and continue using the DS118. I see the DS118 has multiple USB ports, not sure how the USB on the MyCloud will connect. It seems limited.

Here is what a Synology user recommends

What I would do, not the fastest but maybe the most reliable and you don’t need to babysit the operations:

I would use Synology Drive and setup a 1-way sync between the MyCloud and Synology. Using this method you could have multiple shares on the Synology and setup sync tasks so everything copies at the same time and to the correct location. Might be the slowest but IMO it’s the least error prone.

Also, since you are likely going to be organizing files once you get them to the Synology, I suggest checking the “Enable file fast close” under Control Panel->File Services->Advanced. This option allow you to move files around without actually creating a copy (assuming you are using BTRFS for the drives).

You should be able to connect the MyCloud directly to the Synology’s USB3 port for a faster connection or do it as a network share (depending on the version of MyCloud device.

There are other methods, the above is just my opinion on one such option.

What would you do?

We are in the same boat. I updated from My Cloud v04.05.00-342 to Synology DS718+. As you want to continue using your My Cloud, you may want to read this topic where I describe a way to do it:

In the topic, we discuss:

How to use Synology VPN Server and how to get remote access to My Cloud.
How to easily copy or move files in shares to a new Synology NAS.
How to play music and watch videos stored on My Cloud, also from a remote connection outside LAN.

One has a number of options on copying files (always copy from the My Cloud to another NAS so there is always a backup just in case). From using Synology’s various options (File Station for example), to using rsync on the My Cloud to copying data from My Cloud to a USB hard drive and attaching that drive to the Synology, to shucking the My Cloud hard drive and using a USB to SATA adapter connect it to the Synology. Just note one cannot connect the My Cloud’s USB port to the Synology’s USB port to transfer files.

Made the move from a single bay first gen My Cloud to a Synology two bay NAS several years ago. If I remember right I think I just shucked the My Cloud hard drive, used a USB to SATA adapter (powered) to connect the drive to the Synology then used Synology’s file station to copy the files (from the My Cloud drive’s EXT4 user data partition) to their new locations/Shares on the Synology. Took some time even with USB3 speed but was a straight forward process. Once everything was the way I wanted it on the Synology, relegated the My Cloud to backup NAS status on the local network.

I am in the process now.
I have a number of steps; including

• backing up Nas “A” to a USB drive (to free this NAS for other uses)
  • copying NAS “B” to a new NAS “C” (Part of a NAS upgrade)

Key points:

• Have both NAS’s attached to the network NORMALLY. Each NAS has a unique device name and IP address
  • From Synology NAS (running DSM); file station, I mount the WD NAS as a remote share. (I think I am using “CIFS” protocol)
  • Drag & Drop for file transfer

I think this is essentially equivalent to using rsync using NHUP via SSH.

Shucking and using a USB adapter will also work.

In both cases - - - this keeps your PC out of the actual process (other than starting it from the DSM browser window)