Moving content between a share and ISCSI target?

Hi everyone! This is my first post, but I’ll try my best to adhere to the community ethic.

Full disclosure: I’m a NAS noob. I’m so far very happy with the EX2. I especially appreciate the ability to create users/groups and manage permissions. Nice stuff.

The trick I’m trying to perform is settings things such that content could be exchanged an ISCSI target and a share. Is it possible to do this?

To be clear, I’ve been able to mount the ISCSI target on the desired machine; I moved two GB of content from a slow external drive to the desired share. Last step, to reiterate, is to move said content from the share to the ISCSI target.

My expectation was that this could be done through the cloud interface.

Is this possible? Thank you so much!

EDIT: I should clarify my use-case. From what I can tell, there is no way to manage music with itunes server. I want to be able to both use wdmcex2 to serve and manage that music. Also, it seems that there is no way to set preferences on the the itunes server; it will just “grab” every media folder with music. My understanding is that at one point there was an option to set a root folder.

iSCSI target can only be see by computer that mount it. You can’t see the iSCSI target from the web. To copy contents from share to iSCSI target is to use that computer that mount the iSCSI target to do it.

1 Like

Darn. Copying from the share to ISCSI through the PC is extremely slow (< 1MBps). I have around five thousand fives to move and the transfer time is over a day.

Surely, there’s a better way?

What about this – can a share be converted into an ISCSI target?

It is slow because all the files are reading from the same device as they copy to. No, the share can not be convert to iSCSI image.

Thank’s for your help. I wound up abandoning the ISCSI thing altogether in favor of using the share directly.

Hey… The above is not “quite” true. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can make a symlink to the iSCSI targets themselves that is accessible over SMB, and then edit the content with something like winimage.

Alternatively, (if you use something like my statically linked partx to get the partition information refreshed) you can mount the image on the mycloud itself directly into the filesystem over ssh using the loop device. :smiley:

The images are stored at

/mnt/HD/HD_a2/.systemfile/iscsi_images

They are flat image files.

Examples:

[Create samba accessible symlink in the public folder to view images]

ln -s /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Public/iSCSI_Targets /mnt/HD/HD_a2/.systemfile/iscsi_images

[mount iSCSI target into native file system with loop device and static partx]

losetup -r /dev/loop1 /mnt/HD/HD_a2/.systemfile/iscsi_images/[imagefile]
partx -u /dev/loop1
mount -o rw,noload /dev/loop1p1 /[path to mount to]

MAKE SURE THE TARGET IS OFFLINE FIRST!

1 Like