Movies

Can anyone tell me what does MKV merge mean when I want to back up a movie to my external harddrive.  At the moment I shrink the movie using DVD Shrink then back it straight up to the hard drive but the folder contains a VLC media file so when I play it back on the TV it has breaks in the movie.

Try posting in the TV section you’ll probably have better luck there.

Joe

are you even using one of wd’s set top boxes?

Hi Wayne, what I have is a WD 2tb external harddrive.  I put the original DVD into the computer using the programme DVD SHRINK and save it into a folder that I have named, then back it up to the external harddrive.  It plays back on the TV great except for the small breaks (about 4) throught the movie when it should not have breaks at all.  The break is only for a split second otherwise alls well.

okay, I see.  that’s not a drive issue.  you need to find out what file formats you tv plays, effectively, then create those kinds of files.  have you tried using iso images?  I would, see if that works better.  also, are you playing the folders, or the files themselves.  cause if you’re using dvd shrink, you’re most likely ripping the vob files.  if you play the files themselves, then yeah they’ll skip like that.

Sorry Wayne but I still don’t know what you mean. All I want to do is transferr one of my DVD’s (on a disc) to my external drive and be able to play it back on the TV without the tiny breaks.

Just join the files with a file joiners software such as HJ-Split.

http://www.hjsplit.org/

greynomad1 wrote:

Sorry Wayne but I still don’t know what you mean. All I want to do is transferr one of my DVD’s (on a disc) to my external drive and be able to play it back on the TV without the tiny breaks.

how are you ripping the dvd’s to your external drive?  does the rip create a couple of folders with lots of files inside?