Mounting a drive from EX2

I’ve got a drive that was removed from a MyCloud EX2 Ultra, RAID-1, and I need to recover data from it. I’ve put it in an external box, but can’t get it to mount on my Mac (I’m using Paragon extFS software, FWIW). It shows up as an ext4 file system, and validates correctly, but won’t mount the filesystem. Ditto for other attempts, including Windows. Is there a trick to mounting?

Alternatively, can it be put back into the MyCloud without reformatting, and copied from there? Thanks for any help!

Hi @dmdirector,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I have not yet done so, was looking to see whether anyone else had encountered the same issue. I’m currently looking to Paragon support to see if they have an answer, if not will come back and file a support case here.

Thanks for your response.

Update –

As suggested by the support team at Paragon Software, I attached the drive to a Linux machine (in this case a borrowed Raspberry Pi), and used the tune2fs command to determine the feature list, which had been indicated as the reason for the mount failure.

Just for grins, while I had it on the Pi, I decided to try mounting it, and got the error message “invalid filesystem type: linux_raid_member” – exactly what I had theorized as to the cause. Specifying the filetype as “-t ext4” allowed the drive to mount successfully, and I was then able to copy the drive and completely recover the contents.

Afterwards, just as an experiment, I decided to try the same on the EX2. I enabled remote login via ssh, then opened a terminal session on the Mac and logged in. After plugging in the drive to the USB port, I was able to mount the partition by the same method, except that you need to use the sudo command to execute it. I also needed to create a mount point for it.

Interestingly, while I could then freely access the drive via the terminal session, the drive did not appear on the browser interface, so I was unable to set it up as a share so as to see it in Finder. Still, it would have been sufficient as a recovery method, and I copied a 72 GB tree back to the shared drive as a test.

Bottom line, case closed, problem solved. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

1 Like

Hi,

I am running into the same kind of issues. Any chance that you could share the command lines you have used both for tune2fs and mount commands?

Besides,

I decided to try the same on the EX2. I enabled remote login via ssh , then opened a terminal session on the Mac and logged in. After plugging in the drive to the USB port

My EX2 cannot be used in as an external disk though USB. Can you explain what you are referring to?

Thank you for your help!