Mkv stutter / judder disgusting behaviour!

julius02 wrote:

The sample you have posted, plays fine on my unit… using auto resolution and match frame rate and also selecting 1080p 24 mode. Are you using the latest firmware? I am playing files back using hard drive only, no network shares.> * * *

Tried it with 60Hz, too? Because, as I have written, it works here in 24p, too.

I tested your sample and it indeed shutters. May be some folks do not realize that video should play smoothly in the sample. Of course, it is easy to see difference when you have different players side by side and one is playing it right. Dune Smart D1 - plays it without any stutter, very smooth. WD is not playing it right by far, even watching sample was a torture.

I am using 60Hz as all sigma based players have incosistent lip sync issues with different file types, resoution and etc. 60Hz seems to be spot on all the time.

I am having the same or similiar issue ///95% of my 720p mkv plays flawlessly … 80% of my 1080p with or without any file compression stutters/freezses. I am playing from my hard drive , using the latest firmware.

This occurs whether framrate is set to match or auto …

I’ve purchased this box since november , 8/10 1080p movie freezes .   

Hopefully this will be fixed soon .

I think they screwed something up in the latest firmware. Before this, I was playing 15mbps files just fine. Now I’m having trouble at 12mbps. I am thinking of downgrading and seeing if that fixes it.

And for the record, I’m using an NFS server.

when i have my unit set to 1080 60 the file uploaded doesn’t play all that well, it judders. if i have match frame rate on or 1080 24 it is real smooth!

i agree somehting has been screwed up with the firmware.

julius02 wrote:

when i have my unit set to 1080 60 the file uploaded doesn’t play all that well, it judders. if i have match frame rate on or 1080 24 it is real smooth!

i agree somehting has been screwed up with the firmware.

judder on 60hz is normal its cause of the additional frames created.

your player is acting normal. peoples player that stutters is not normal.

Any other player, including WDTV does 24 → 60 frame conversion nice and smooth. The difect is only happens during VC-1 24p MKV content playback. It plays the same content in m2ts with butter smooth 60Hz conversion. You can remux it to m2ts with tsmuxer and it will play just fine in 60Hz same exact content.

I remuxed the sample I’ve linked to (page 2) into a M2TS (with tsMuxer), and for me it’s stuttering a bit (not a lot, but still noticeable) at both 60Hz and 24p, but not as much as the MKV played at 60Hz. The MKV played at 24p is stutter-free and smooth.

On the latest firmware (1.09.10) still stuttering @ 60Hz, no stutter @ 24Hz.

schwurbel wrote:

On the latest firmware (1.09.10) still stuttering @ 60Hz, no stutter @ 24Hz.

May be it hasn’t been fixed because you are still posting the wrong examples (here and in the Issues section) for what WayneJJ originally described in his post. Your’s seems to be normal 2:3 pulldown judder caused by the conversion from 24Hz to 60Hz… please refer to 2:3 pulldown on Wikipedia.

This problem is still present in the new FW.

Man i´m so sick and tired of this…

This problem is still present in the new Firmware 1.11.144,

Man i´m so sick and tired of this…(2)

… and even if it was fixed: There have been introduced so many new bugs in the last two firmware updates, that I couldn’t install one of these and would still have to live with the stutter/judder of the older firmware (I’m still on v1.09.10).

Man i´m so sick and tired of this…(3)

I have exactly the same problem with the stuttering playing 1080P mkv’s. Im using the current firmware available using a Netgear R6300 Cable router with a Netgear GS108 Gigabit switch and streaming from a Netgear NV+ V2 NAS drive.

The only way I have found to get the mkv’s to play correctly with no stuttering is to connect the WD Live Media player to a Devolo 200mbs powerline adaptor.

For some reason connecting it directly to the switch or router it always stutters that it becomes unwatchable.

Does anyone have any comments why it does not work connecting directly to a gigabit switch or even the router??

The GS108 has small packet buffers.  Only 12KB per port.  The WD uses 64KB TCP segments which probably means that lots of traffic is getting discarded by the switch, causing a slowdown in performance.

This can be verified or discounted by looking at the TCP statistics on the sending device, which in this case, is your NAS.

since its sending at GIG speed, and your switch has to send at 100, it has to buffer the burst, and runs out of memory almost instantly.  

But since the Powerline is only 100meg, it’s the same at both ends, so some other device is doing the buffering.

The GS108Tv2 switch, by contrast, has 128KB buffers.

Even when I connect straight to the Netgear R6300 router it has the same effect. So does that mean the router is insufficient to be able to stream from? The ports on the Netgear R6300 are gigabit though.

I can’t find any buffer specs on that router, so I’m not sure.

Not sure if its the problem with your switch, either…  Just a possibility that can only be verified through other means.

Can you log into your Netgear via command line?  Like SSH or Telnet?

Im looking at the specs of the GS108V3,

Forwarding Mode

• Store-and-forward
  • 192 KB on-chip packet buffering

Performance

• Bandwidth: 16 Gbps (non-blocking)
  • Forwarding rate:
  • 10 Mbps port: 14,800 packets/sec
  • 100 Mbps port: 148,000 packets/sec
  • 1000 Mbps port: 1,480,000 packets/sec
  • Latency (using 1500-byte packets):
  • 10 Mbps: 30μs (max)
  • 100 Mbps: 6μs (max)
  • 1000 Mbps: 4μs (max)

I cant see where it says about the 12kb per port that you were talking about?