Missing Time Machine Backups on My Cloud - please help!

I desperately need help. I have lost the photos of my baby :sob:

I have a 3TB My Cloud that I have been using solely for Time Machine backups. Recently I discovered I needed to roll back the operating system on my Macbook Pro as I have a piece of music equipment that is no longer supported on the newer OSX.

I backed up my Time Machine successfully (double checked it by going into time machine), and dropped the Macbook Pro and My Cloud to a repair shop so they could do a clean install back to Yosemite.

I then got a call from the store saying that they had wiped my Macbook Pro and installed Yosemite, but when they went to load my Time Machine from the My Cloud the appropriate files were not there… I am completely baffled as I had literally checked my Time Machine before dropping it off.

This is what it shows is on my drive:

As you can see this is not right, there is hardly any data and the date modified is from ages ago.

When I try to open the sparsebundle file I get an error message saying there are “no mountable file systems”

However, when I log into http://wdmycloud.local/UI/ it shows that there is around 860gb of data on the drive so I have hope that the data is still there somehow

Not sure if it is a related issue but I am having problems connecting the My Cloud to the internet. When I log into the dashboard it says it is not connected to the internet, and when I try mycloud.com it says it can’t connect to the My Cloud.

Please help me with any suggestions you have, I’d do anything to get the photos back of my wee boy.

I have tried doing a reset but this hasn’t helped.

Would taking the drive to data recovery service be worthwhile or am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance x

if you are lucky it is still possible to recover. I don’t know how much you can recover. MAC keeps a local snapshot of timemachine backups, overwritten every 7 days (I think). So you might just be able to recover. Follow this link (better than I would explain it :slight_smile: ):https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015

and good luck.

Thanks so much for your reply. Unfortunately the drive was wiped to do the clean install and there are no snapshot backups there :frowning:

Do you think it would be worth trying a data recovery service? I don’t understand why the My Cloud says it has 860gb of data but I can’t see any of it…

What’s in the ‘Aimee’ folder in the TimeMachineBackup Share?

I’d also suggest using Finder to browse the drive, rather than the MyCloud app you appear to be using.

Thanks for replying :slight_smile:

The ‘Aimee’ folder appears to be empty. I have tried using Finder to browse it but it shows exactly the same. Any ideas for anything else I could try?

Is there anything in ‘Norm’ or ‘Public’?

If not, then it appears your MyCloud has got confused and forgotten it has your data. My usual suggestion for when the MyCloud gets confused is to do a four-second reset (press the reset button in the rear panel for four seconds).

As for your Mac, there may be residues of your photos on the HDD, depending on how fiercely they wiped it when re-installing Yosemite. If they did a soft format, the data will not have actively been overwritten, but it may still be lost, due to overwriting when the OS was installed. It may be worth trying one of the free data recovery tools for Mac, to see if it can find anything.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=file+recovery+mac

I’m not a Mac user, so I can’t give much guidance.

you might have resolved this long ago. hope you did. i just lost my Time Machine backup and folder was showing up but no files in finder. I followed this solution by another user to mount the folder and it worked.

"Open Finder and in the Finder menu (top left of your main screen) select

Go > Connect to Server…

smb://mycloudex2ultra is your server address (I used personal ip address to wd my cloud)

press Connect

in the list you should have P2P, Public, YOUR_USER, ETC and TimeMachineBackup folder (that’s where your Time Machine backups are) and that’s what’s missing" (other user)