Missing Netflix and Hulu Services on new Canadian WD TV Live - UPDATE

I have the same issue.

Lots of conflicting info on how this player decides which services to show.

Does anyone know how it works?

The firmware seems to be shared regardless of location so there is either hardware in each box allowing certain services (which seems unlikely and difficult to manage inventory for sales) or the box is checking in with a server to determine location and then displaying the allowed services.

Can anyone confirm whether or not hulu/vudu etc… will show up on my box if I travel to the US? I need to know so I can decide whether or not to return this.

Why wouldn’t they just let the individual services decide where you are and give the customer the option to hide services they don’t want?

vango44 wrote:

Why wouldn’t they just let the individual services decide where you are and give the customer the option to hide services they don’t want?

First, I don’t know for sure the answer to the root of your question.

But the answer to your latter question:  I’m guessing too many people are violating service’s Terms of Use where they’re using VPNs and Proxies instead. which gets past the “IP Location Check.”

Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do understand why some services are not available in all areas and I understand the need to have mechanisms in place to legally protect those services from abuse. I’m OK with all that if it’s necessary.

I just wish these mechanisms were more transparent to the user.

What’s wrong with this:

Customer buys device and starts for 1st time.

Device asks what country to set

If user selects Canada, device only displays Canada services

If user tries to cheat and selects US, device displays all US services but built-in geo-protection on the services still stops abuse.

This would allow the device to be portable for people like me who travel. And seems pretty simple.

So has anyone who bought this player in Canada tried it from the US yet?

The only issue with that approach is that, for example, Netlix required different HARDWARE for use in Latin America. Not the best example when talking about Canada differences, but still an example… Sometimes there ARE hardware differences.

TonyPh12345, you don’t seriously believe that lie by WDC, do you?

Take for instance Mexico, we also use ATSC/NTSC, thus our TV’s are basically the same sold in the US. Netflix works well with the SMP (Gen 3) over here, using the American hardware. Netflix works well in Mexico on the PS3 with the same software used in the US (I know, because I’ve used my PS3 in Mexico and the US without requiring an additional download). Netflix already works well with some Internet-enabled TV’s with their American firmware, with bigger support incoming.

Thing is, either Netflix or WDC decided that they weren’t going to update the version of the Netflix software in the old American WD TV boxes either for marketting or regional licensing purposes, not due to different hardware needs, as only some Latin American countries are on the PAL side. It’s the same case as Canada’s with their new special little version of the box right now.

Is there any fix to have netflix installed on a wd tv live

dphammer49,

If you have the new WDTV SMP player, latest firmware and live in Canada or US, Netflix already works properly.

I joined this thread because I was trying to find out if the player is capable of all services but hiding some based on a location check or if it is hardware locked based on where you purchased it.

I still don’t have an answer yet but if I get a chance to take it to the US, I’ll let you all know.

If anyone does take their Canadian box (WDBHG70000NBK-VESN) to the States please report back whether or not the box finds the Hulu & Pandora services.  I’d also like to hear if those services show up on a Canadian box with a US VPN connection.

BTW, I am successfully running US Netflix on my box with the Unblock-us DNS service.  You can tell from my comments above that Unblock-us does not fool the box to providing the US only services like Hulu and Pandora on the WD TV.  I have used these services on my PC and other devices via Unblock-us.

I just grabbed one for a friend and it does not show Netflix either.  When I called their tech line yesterday and they said it was a known issue and the next firmware would address this.   I own 2 of the last gen WD Live Pluses and it’s disappointing to see their product support is still **bleep**.  I’ll pass on this new gen until they iron out these glaring bugs.  Imagine no Netflix.  Considering it’s the main reason most customers buy it, it’s a HUGE mistake on their part…

Netflix didn’t show up on my box either until I updated the firmware, then Netflix and 7 other services were added for a total of 22.

I’m going to take my box to the US at the end of the month.  I’ll report back if I can access Hulu and Pandora with my Canadian box. 

That would be of great help! I bought mine from Toronto a few days back and learned about the 1.04 update from this thread. Now I can access Netflix US through unotelly. The hulu and Pandora icons are still missing though. I guess it is because they are only US only service.

I am also a frequent visitor to the states and it would be great if you can provide with with info about hulu and pandora (about it showing up there). Also if anyone knows any ways to just bring up the icons (using some methods!), then I guess it will solve my problems since once I get the icons, I can easily bypass the geo-restriction thing!

Till then I have to be satisfied with Netflix US, I guess… 

What’s wrong with this
Customer buys device and starts for 1st time.
Device asks what country to se
If user selects Canada, device only displays Canada services
If user tries to cheat and selects US, device displays all US services but built-in geo-protection on the services still stops abuse.
This would allow the device to be portable for people like me who travel. And seems pretty simple.

Your plan is simple alright but ineffective owing to the fact that there are many ways to  bypass these geo-protection :manwink: Maybe WD knows it too ! Personally though, I would love your idea since I enjoy Pandora and am not able to access it.

sarge_nem,

If you can, I would return your Canadian box and pickup one on your next visit to the US. Then you have the chance to use all the services. This is what I ended up doing.

vango44 I can’t go to the US for another 3 months or so and am sure they will not take it back then ! The option of returning it now and waiting for 3 months is not possible !!! I am still able to access Netflix US you see, so its not that big a problem, the one thing I miss is Pandora. Maybe I can ask someone to buy a box from the US and ship it to me. Will think on it !