Mid-May estimated release date for the upcoming firmware

Be happy with 2.5 months.  Those of us on the WD Live Plus have been told since October a new FW was coming and its been 6 going on 7 months now.  Nobody can give a straight answer and theres no excuse for the insane delays and bugs that have continued to plague the WD players.

1 Like

The Netflix loss of credentials issue has been dragging on for ages now and have to re-enter my details on a near daily basis is unacceptable.
No one asked for the new firmware to include a geolocation check yet we’ve had this forced on us.
The lack of new services is really disappointing, Roku is now boasting over 100 channels in the UK alone yet WD is still dragging its heels in bringing new services on to the WD TV.

The reason I chose a WD device over others is that I thought WD as a big company would have the knowledge and know-how to offer a great well managed product and the corporate presence to get other companies to offer their services on its media players. It’s seeming more and more like I made a poor choice.

Good. The new release is out, and it resolves a lot of issues (more than a lot of us expected it would), adding only a few features. Seems like WDC did listen. I’ll test it later, but meanwhile, I’m glad they did.

For anyone reading this, just remember to reset your device after performing the firmware update to ensure that not a single issue carries over. Some people also take the precaution of resetting it before the update too. Of course, the update is supposed to work as expected without doing any of this, but just in case. Also, deleting stored metadata is usually a good idea.

Strider_Nemesis wrote:
For anyone reading this, just remember to reset your device after performing the firmware update to ensure that not a single issue carries over.

It’s quite important to reset the device prior updating so that the player is in a defined state.

But unless required otherwise by the nature of the fixes or additions, firmware updates should be designed so that the user doesn’t need to reset their device at all. And when a reset is indeed required, the firmware installer should take care of it, not the user. If you make it necessary for the user to reset the device beforehand, then you’re sealing the fate of all those who didn’t, as a firmware upgrade is something that shouldn’t be seen as reversible.

But I agree, putting the device in a defined state before and after the update is a precautionary step that makes sense, as it will reduce the possibility of falling victim to something that may have been overseen by the developers. And that’s why I mentioned it in the sentence following what you quoted.

can you calrify what type of reset this is?

Do you mean …

Home > Setup > System > Device Reset > Reset all Settings Except Online Service Accounts

and what do we lose when we do this reset?