Mid-May estimated release date for the upcoming firmware

Now that WDC failed to release during mid-April the firmware that is supposed to fix the Netflix issues, they’re announcing that it’s going to happen during mid-May, which I think is insane.

Being a software developer myself, I’m usually very comprehensive when it comes to software bugs or established release windows; but, this time, I just cannot see how someone can be comprehensive towards a company that is doing things in an atrocious way for its clients.

Judging from the previously-released firmware upgrades, the cycle usually takes around a month and a half. But this time it’s going to take two months and a half (1.07.18 just doesn’t count). And it wouldn’t be all that bad, if it weren’t for the fact that user complaints have been at their highest during these weeks.

A company that takes their longest when their users complain their most seems like a company who just doesn’t like having them. This is absolutely ridiculous. They claim that testing is taking longer than expected. Do any of you feel that any of the previous firmware releases was thoroughly tested? Or perhaps this is the first time that they’ll test a firmware in a correct way before releasing it, and that’s why it’s taking longer?

I just don’t know what to think about WDC anymore. I don’t doubt that the software development team is giving their all right now to fix this. But for companies with a reputation like WDC, this is not good enough. Maybe the people in that team is just not good enough. Maybe they should hire developers who are less inept. Or perhaps their personnel is alright, but their methodologies are awful. Either way, this is seriously ruining the company’s reputation.

I just hope that WDC doesn’t end the support for the SMP a year after its release date, because we’re all going to remember how much time we lost waiting for them to fix these bugs.

5 Likes

Where did you hear it’s going to be released mid May? 

edit. I’ve seen the post now.  They should really explain what the hold up is.  Are they adding new content?  Having trouble with the fix?  It’s the lack of transparency which is really disheartening, makes you think this device was just a quick money-maker for them. 

It’s mentioned in this thread, in the first post under an edit:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Random-loss-of-NetFlix-credentials/idc-p/395985#M2199

1 Like

Yes can you point to where they said that? Otherwise you are just starting a rumour which somebody else will complain about when it does not happen.

Rich; it’s in the summary post that shows at the top of each page on the issue report that was editted-in after your post.

This fix should be in the next update approximately mid-April.

[edit]

I’m being told that it is now mid-May, that we’re planning to have the firmware update that fixes this.

I’m really surprised at this development if it’s accurate. I would say the current firmware is probably the worst so far (excepting the MLB fix) and their going to sit on that one for the longest?

How do they not put together a quick release to at least stop the player from re-booting randomly?

I’m with Strider on this… I’m generally patient with this kind of tech and you won’t find any long rants from me against WD (except maybe this one :laughing: ) but they really seem to have run into a major problem with this box. I suspect and hope there’s a lot of work going on at WD because of this.

Whether it’s their fault or not, the current state is unacceptable.

My situation is that I can choose to use the latest 2 firmwares and have random re-boots several times/day while navigating my files or I can use an older firmware (I’m on 1.05) and suffer a re-boot every day or 2 when starting an AVI/MP4 file.

My wife won’t use it any more unless she has to. She watches Hulu/Netflix on an older Samsung player.

I imagine most people who don’t want to fiddle with it (unlike me) would just return it or move on to another player.

On paper this player is probably on a very short list for best player of its type and from experience, these devices can’t be expected to perform flawlessly 24/7 but with the major issues present and drawn out for literally months with no resolution I can say that my (and others) next purchase decision will be strongly influenced by this experience.

I also want to say that I appreciate the efforts made by WD to communicate with us in the forum and keep us updated. I’ve seen the flipside of this with other products and it’s not pretty.

So WD, take till the end of May if need be to fix the problems. Basically, whatever you release will be tested by my wife and if she’ll start using it again regularly I guess I’ll be happy again. Especially if I can stop feeling like I should check this forum for news every day. :confounded:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Rich; it’s in the summary post that shows at the top of each page on the issue report that was editted-in after your post.

This fix should be in the next update approximately mid-April.

[edit]

I’m being told that it is now mid-May, that we’re planning to have the firmware update that fixes this.

Well in that case WD can take the flak if they don’t release.

Vango, you say you’re with Strider, yet you make a good point to the contrary.  :)

A delay in release, if that delay is due to longer work involved in fixing bugs in prior releases (or fixing a major regression) should be treated as a GOOD thing.   I think that’s what I am hearing you say, and I agree with that.

This is just one of those “Can’t Win” things.

People yell that WD releases firmware with such and such a bug, or because a new release does NOT fix a bug in a prior version.

Other people (sometimes the same people) yell that WD does NOT release firmware fast enough.

But those two ideas are often incompatible with each other. 

PROPER software development takes time.   Demanding faster releases is counterproductive, because that would necessarily shorten WD’s testing prorcesses, and thus would open the doors to more bugs.

If WD found a major bug, or is waiting on a fix for a major bug, then that’s a GOOD thing, but people will still complain.

So it’s a no-win.

IMHO, I wouldn’t care if firmware releases were much longer apart – if they didn’t introduce NEW major bugs, and the release FIXES existing issues.

Totally agree with you Tony

Wouldn’t this whole experience be reason enough for WD to allow devs to create custom firmware, like what was possible with previous WD Live devices? I know there is the issue of Sigma not allowing source to be released, but itsnt that only for the apps included on the player? If this box just played movies from my NAS, without the MLBtv, pandora, etc… I’d be happy.

I hope they remove all nonfunctioning services like Mediafly from the firmware.

1 Like

Hi to all, let me provocate WD: why don’t you open all the stuff to external coders like in the past? Maybe someone will solve some problems or will focus on important features! :stuck_out_tongue:

TonyPh12345, it’s true that proper software development takes time, but firmware releases are usually put into fast development cycles because their main purpose is supposed to be the resolution of issues. That is why you need very capable people and effective methodologies, or you will end up taking a lot of time to fix serious bugs and/or introducing more and more bugs with each release. WDC is guilty of both.

Let’s not forget here that you reported the Netflix bug back on October, and it wasn’t until the issue exploded in the previous couple of months that _apparently_ WDC started putting special attention to it. Either bad decisions have been made here, or something is seriously amiss with the way these firmware updates are being developed.

As I stated in my previous post, longer firmware development cycles wouldn’t be that bad, but right now users are complaining a lot about bugs that were discovered and reported months ago. The fact that WDC hasn’t fixed those bugs has nothing to do with developing software properly or not, as enough time has passed since those issues were discovered.

If you ask me, I would choose to have 3-month development cycles instead of the 1.5-month ones we’ve been having, if that meant that new firmware releases are going to be tested to the point of guaranteeing that there will be a lot less serious bugs (we all know that eliminating all bugs is impossible, especially minor ones).

EDIT: And just so nobody assumes otherwise, I do like my SMP a lot. What I don’t like is the way WDC is doing things right now. As somebody else said in this thread, the current state is unacceptable.

vango44 wrote:> How do they not put together a quick release to at least stop the player from re-booting randomly?

Probably cause it’s not easy to reproduce. I’ve been through all (beta) firmwares since day one, none of which made my player reboot randomly.

Mid-May is fine for me. I have no problems at all. I can play antyhing I like (including video_ts and bluray’s) from my synology nas, youtube is working perfect, I never have reboots.

When I read this forum I get the idea that everyone has problems except myself.

@ Techflaws

Assuming you are on the latest 1.07, what country is your SMP from and what device (if any) do you have attached?

Are you using the “media library”  and “content scraping” ?

Do you use the “gallery” view to navigate your videos/ photos?

The gallery view seems to be biggest factor causing issues for me but others claim it reboots in other view modes as well. I’ve tried a lot of different things including 2 different hdd’s (WD Passport & Seagate USB3) and I can’t believe we haven’t figured this out yet.

Dikkiedikdik wrote:

Mid-May is fine for me. I have no problems at all. I can play antyhing I like (including video_ts and bluray’s) from my synology nas, youtube is working perfect, I never have reboots.

When I read this forum I get the idea that everyone has problems except myself.

@ Dikkiedikdik

Yes, you’re the only one with a working player…so why the heck are you wasting your time in this forum? You could be watching videos!!!  :laughing:

I don’t know, the comment said: 

"

The Intermittent Logout issue has been identified and resolved.  We will release a fix soon for this issue.

"

Are they really going to wait until mid may to release a fix that they claim to have fully resolved? I am getting closer to just buying a roku and running a plex server. 

“PROPER software development”…that’s pretty funny, the whole reason WD is in this predicament is because they don’t. 

I hope they take as long as they need and test like crazy.

That’s exactly TonyPh12345’s point. That if they want to start developing software properly, they need to take more time testing their firmware upgrades, thus increasing the duration of the cycle.

I, on the other hand, argue that the time they usually take to release a firmware upgrade (one and a half months) would be enough if they made better decisions (prioritizing fixing before adding), and had more effective developers and methodologies (whichever is at fault right now).

The previous should apply especially when user complaints call for an immediate response, thanks to the severity of the issue. We really can’t ignore the fact that, for instance, the Netflix Credentials bug was reported back on October.

Once you calm your users, you can start adding newer features to the firmware, even if it means that the development cycle will take longer.

vango44 wrote:

@ Techflaws

Assuming you are on the latest 1.07, what country is your SMP from and what device (if any) do you have attached?

Are you using the “media library”  and “content scraping” ?

Do you use the “gallery” view to navigate your videos/ photos?

With 1.07.18 I had no reboots on my  US model and a WD passport 750 GB attached to the back port. Media library is off  and I don’t watch photos (yet); BTW, you hadn’t mentioned these as possible factors in your inital post in this thread.

Techflaws wrote:

…BTW, you hadn’t mentioned these as possible factors in your inital post in this thread.

Well, I’m not entirely sure what the factors are unfortunately. As I said, I’ve been on 1.05 for a while now since I gave up on testing 1.07 and my wife refused to use it anymore in that state.

Before I rolled back, I did figure out that if I didn’t use “gallery” view I could last a day or 2 with no reboots. But since it still wasn’t completely solid and negated the advantages of viewing the meta-data and backdrops, I rolled back.

Most people reporting the reboots are saying it happens with some kind of image viewing such as with photos or while navigating with gallery (backdrop photos) view enabled. But it doesn’t seem to be 100% of the issue based on some conflicting reports.

I assume this is the reason it’s taking WD longer to issue a fix.