Media scan immediately stops after reboot

Brand new MyCloud and shortly after I started copying content on to it I got the email notification:

Following events are generated on your WDMyCloud .

Event title:Media Scan Stopped

Event description:The device stopped scanning your media. As a result, some thumbnails will not display when you access it remotely. To resume scanning, please restart your WD My Cloud device.

Severity:Info

Event code:2300

Event time:08-27-2014 04:45:45 PM

When I restart, I get the same message without fail as soon as the unit boots up.

Is there any logfile I can look at that might have more information? Is this the media scan for music, photos or what? Is it Twonky or something else?

The media scan is comprised of processes that index, create thumbnail, downsize images, display thumbnails to be served in the mobile apps, like WDPhotos.

It is somewhat of a blessing that your services don’t work. There are taxing on performance. Of course, it is an issue if you want to use WDPhotos to see your photos, and WDMyCloud apps won’t display preview in the thumbnails either.

Let the NAS ingest and digest your content. Content scanning will catch up.

Have you looked at the Dashboard. See image below. First click the arrow then place your pointer over the green check mark ,(if scan has completed), for more information.

For more information on the _ Content Scan _ panel see the User Manual P. 48.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

it may nopt have actually stopped, it appears if the device is too busy it says it stopped when it is not

unless you have a small amount of images and really want to use the photo app it is best to disable this

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

Thanks for your answers. In the end I did a system restore and the issue seems to have gone away. I haven’t fully decided which apps I will use or not, but if I decide the bundled apps aren’t too useful I’ll definitely stop these services.