MCH on network slows down everything!

My router only has 4 ports. I may need more. Well I tested a network switch. I plugged the switch into the router (ORBI) and plugged the MCH to the switch. A Cobian backup I had previously performed that took 3 minutes was taking more than 2 hrs to complete. I gave up on it. But, not only slow backup, all internet traffic on the computer was slow. Acted like the old dial-up days. I stopped that, reconnected MCH to the router. Now the same backup only took 3 min.

Unless someone has some idea, it looks like any notion of putting MCH on a network switch is a no-no.

Ideas?

The title of this thread is mostly wrong.

Beta software and firmware everywhere in the tech world, from Apple to Netgear to Plex to pretty much everybody and they are rewarded handsomely for using consumers as beta testers and as products to be exploited.

The following may not be the exact cause of your network slow down, but it is a clue.

Try a router with tested hardened firmware and all these problems will usually go away.

I have disabled ‘enable daisy chain topology’ in my Orbi router advanced wireless settings. UPNP now works perfectly… I presume this is a bug?

Daisy chain is enabled by default on your Orbi WiFi System.

To disable daisy chain topology:

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your Orbi network.
  2. Enter http://orbilogin.com.
    A login window displays.
  3. Enter the user name and password.
    The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
    The BASIC Home page displays.
  4. Select ADVANCED > Wireless Settings.
  5. Clear the Enable Daisy-Chain Topology check box.
  6. Click the APPLY button.
    Your settings are saved.

I tried your suggestion: Disable daisy chain. Thank you. But did not work. The test backup to MCH (on network switch) is struggling at 60% after 30 min compared to 100% at 3 minutes. I am not done yet. I will see if I can borrow or try some other network switch to see if situation improves. All this gave me opportunity to learn about Daisy Chain Topology.

BTW. I did the backup test yesterday to the WDMyCl.oud. MCH is 50% faster than MDMyCloud. 3 min vs 4.5 min to completion.

I don’t have to own an Orbi to know to avoid one. There are a lot of things going on with the Orbi firmware that a home user will not understand what is happening.

Bitdefender’s Armor service on Orbi’s was also blocking IPs without my consent.