MBR 2TB data disc to 3TB GPT data disc

On my computer my O/S is on a seperate SSD and my data is on a 2 TB HDD. I just bought the 3TB drive and want to clone all the data onto the 3TB drive. I understand to make the 3TB drive appear as a 1 partition 3 TB drive I have to use GPT partition. Can I clone the 2 TB MBR partitioned drive onto a GPT partitioned drive? Should I partition the 3 TB in GPT then just copy all files over do it. I’m totally confused with this gpt partition. Wish it could be easier to just pop a drive larger than 2TB and have it just work like a regular drive without all this partitioning. Any ideas welcome. Thanks

Hello,

I recommend you contact support for assistance with this.

Contact WD

1 Like

Support may be able to help like the moderator said.

Some cloning utilities may be able to change the drive from MBR to GPT during cloning but I can’t guarantee that it will work that way. Since the drive is just a data drive, it may be easier to set it up as GPT, partition and format it, then copy your data over. As long as your computer isn’t running Windows XP, it should be able to handle a GPT disk. I would just make sure that your system/motherboard can support that large of a drive.

1 Like

I do have some program files and gamimg programs such as Steam and Origin that I wish to transfer… I think GPT may screw them up if I copy them over to the GPT format. Please correct me if Im wrong. Thank You

Ah, yeah. If you have programs installed to the drive then you can’t just copy and paste. You may even have problems if you do a clone. You may need to uninstall and then reinstall the applications/programs on the new disk.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s what I thought.