MBL SafePoint to USB hdd fails

This seems to have been a big problem over a year ago, but haven’t found anything about it recently…

I’m trying to create a safepoint from my 2TB MBL to a 2.5" hdd that I placed inside a Nexstar USB enclosure ( see here). I have tried to do the backup with the USB drive connected to my router (Asus RT-N66U) and to a laptop that I have connected via ethernet to the router (all on the same router as the MBL). After a failed attempt while connected to the router, I can view the few files that the safepoint did in fact backup before it failed.

When the USB is connected to the router, it copies a few files and then fails with error: “36102 -Your safepoint could not be created due to a failed request…”

When connected to the laptop, it doesn’t even get that far, but throws the same error.

What can I do? Could it be a problem with my using a recycled 2.5 hdd in usb enclosure? The drive seems to work fine for copying a few large test files over the network while plugged into the router.

I look at the logs, but there are so many, I’m not sure where to pin down the issue. 

Any ideas? 

Quick update: I plugged the “converted” usb drive into my WD TV Live and the Safe Point seems to be working now… it’s no where near complete, but it has actually moved about 1.5GB of data, so that’s a much better sign than before. We’ll see how it finishes in 12.5 hours…

Perhaps being plugged into another WD product makes the drive work better for the Safe Point than it did when plugged into my router? I dunno…