MBL Install Probs

Just got my MBL, tried installing with cd, would not discover drive, windows explorer sees it, and can copy n past files onto it, connected to router with lan cable, got thru to dashboard but cannot seem to install WD Smartware to select n do auto backups, managed to update drives F/W, but still no joy, can anyone help please? using W7

If you can copy and paste files to it you should be able to map it manually:  Mapping a network drive on a My Book Live, My Book Live Duo, WD TV Live Hub, WD ShareSpace or My Book World on a PC 

For SmartWare you may download and install its latest version:  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/NAS.asp

1 Like

thanks, smartware is latest version, i just checked, i’ll try the mapping soon,

heard of other people having similar probs on Amazon

managed to map public share on my MBL, without probs, but when I tried a private share I create, it asks for a “Network Password” tried all passwords I created with my MBL, all failed, but after I shutdown, I thought it may mean the WEP key on my router ?
Why does it ask for password on my shares, but not on the default public share ?

Still NO REPLY from WD Support to my e-mail of over 24hrs ago,

seemed to have tried everything i can think of, just started full factory reset, said it will take hours, 

will get back here…

davidjames wrote:
managed to map public share on my MBL, without probs, but when I tried a private share I create, it asks for a “Network Password” tried all passwords I created with my MBL, all failed, but after I shutdown, I thought it may mean the WEP key on my router ?
Why does it ask for password on my shares, but not on the default public share ?

No, your WEP key has absolutely nothing to do with it.

A PUBLIC share doesn’t have a password.  That’s why it’s called “Public.”

But also, you if you’re using Windows, you CANNOT connect to a PRIVATE share after previously connecting to a PUBLIC share, unless you map it differently.

That’s a limitation of Windows.

For your PRIVATE share, try mapping to the IP address instead of the MBL Name.

If that still doesn’t work, UNMAP the drives, open a CMD window and enter the command

net use * /delete

then reboot your computer and try again.

Thanks Tony, am a bit of a noob at this, just wanted WD’s supplied software to do this correctly first time, it’s doing a full factory reset now from a web page to drives dashboard, I’ll get back here, thanks

Thanks Jube for the pm, good one mate, just read page 113 of the manual, which says that if setup or smart ware (?) cannot discover the drive, check ur router can allow UPnP or UDP traffic,
That sound good to anyone ?
Good job I know where to start looking in my router, ur less savvy guy would def up the creek without a paddle !

I’ll check my Cisco E4200 router in morn, been a bit of a golden day here in Olympic Brit land, so think I’ll float a few zeds.
Before diving back into the WD MBL afray.

Tried again, after full factory reset, checked router, UPnP is enabled, WD Smartware is installed, but will not discover drive, tried install cd again, will not discover drive, read somewhere in WD Help section, that it may be a windows driver that is corrupted, i have it in the back of my mind it may be a driver prob, noticed in the software section on the MBL, there is a driver named “WdNetworkDiscovery.dll” ???

Can this be the answer ?

If so, where do i copy this file to ?

Somewhere in the Windows folder on my C:/ ?

Even found a little prog, WD My Net View, did a scan, and that can see the MBL ??

Seemed to have tried everything, nothing was making any difference, so i just gave up, its going back to Amazon,

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: