MBL begins backup on Time Machine, quits after < 200 MB

The 2 TB MBL is networked via a Linksys E4200 wireless Lan to my current generation MacBook running OS X 10.6.8.  after working fine with Time Machine for the first several months the MBL suddenly began giving an error message about the network link. I updated to the current firmware, can see the MBL fine on the router’s DHCP client table and can get a backup going through Time Machine, but it stops after a few minutes (typically at about 100-200 MB of data) to tell me i need to set the drive up through TIme Machine (!).

Ideas about how to fix or why this is happening are appreciated! Is there a setting I have missed or is this an issue others are having with this model?

Thanks!

You may try resetting the MBL by holding its reset button for 4 seconds.  If the issue persists try running Time Machine from another computer, if available, in order to compare results.

1 Like

Thanks! Backed up successfully from my Mac Mini, which did not experience same issues as MacBook. What do I do now to fix the problem with the MacBook; would a reinstall of the WD software help or does this sound like a Time Machine issue?