Maximum number of files in that a Folder can contain in Media Library

I just got a WD TV Live and am loving it.  Works for all my different video and music files.

The problem that I am having is that when setting up the Media Library I have folder that seems to be creating some problems for the Live box.

I am adding a folder which contains over 43,000 music files by “Add network share to media library to manually add individual share folders to the media library.”  The light on the front of my media hub is still flashing well after a day and the .wd_tv directory placed on my computer is stuck and 21.7MB. 

What I am asking is there a maximum number of files that a folder can contain?

I don’t want to but if need be I can break up that directory but I was wondering if there was something else I could do.

Thank-you

I think your post is in the wrong forum. This forum is for the 2009 model WDTV Live HD and 2010 model WDTV Live Plus.

The forum for the 2011 WDTV Live Streaming Media Player is here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/bd-p/streaming_discussions

Trainspotting wrote:

I just got a WD TV Live and am loving it.  Works for all my different video and music files.

The problem that I am having is that when setting up the Media Library I have folder that seems to be creating some problems for the Live box.

I am adding a folder which contains over 43,000 music files by “Add network share to media library to manually add individual share folders to the media library.”  The light on the front of my media hub is still flashing well after a day and the .wd_tv directory placed on my computer is stuck and 21.7MB. 

What I am asking is there a maximum number of files that a folder can contain?

I don’t want to but if need be I can break up that directory but I was wondering if there was something else I could do.

Thank-you

Hi Trainspotting,

Wow that’s some collection you have there! This same dilema had me worried too but then my collection is mearly the tip of the iceburg compared to yours. If it helps I shared 2,559 music files to my WD TV Live, some of which are full length DJ sets and around 3-4 hours long! It took around 10 minutes for the light to stop flashing on the front. Of course network speed probably has a lot to do with it but then I’m only using 3 Meg Wifi.  I just did a little calculation using the above figures and as an example, if 10 mins = 2,559 files then 60 minutes  = 15,354. So by my estimation 43,000 files should take no more than around 3 hours at my speed.

By any chance did you allow your unit to update the firmware automatically when you first connected it? I only ask because like you I’ve only just got the unit and connected it for the first time on Friday. Since then I’ve had to reset the unit half a dozen times because it kept freezing! Thankfully (fingers crossed) it seems okay now though. It might be worth you reseting yours and trying the share process again, it helped me out.

Just to follow up on the other post, it seems there’s some confusion over the WD TV LIVE vs. Streaming Player variant. I don’t think Trainspotting is in the wrong forum at all. My unit is labelled quite clearly on the WD Packaging as “WD TV Live Media Player” It is identical in every way to the picture shown at the start of this forum and yes it it also streams media. I wonder if there may be some differences depending on where you live? I’m in the UK if it helps?

See product packaging below (Model No:WDBGXT0000NBK-UESN)

WDTVLive.jpg

Slinky_McVelvet - Inventor of the word ‘mellifluous’

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I think your post is in the wrong forum. This forum is for the 2009 model WDTV Live HD and 2010 model WDTV Live Plus.

The forum for the 2011 WDTV Live Streaming Media Player is here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/bd-p/streaming_discussions

OH OK…LOL!!

I spotted your error now, TonyPH12345 is in the wrong forum himself :slight_smile:

The link above is indeed for this forum,

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

The moderators moved the thread.