Master Browser IssuesGh

I have my 40 TB PR4100 connected to two different LANs and would like for it to be the Master Browser for both networks.

It seems to be doing something intense right now - it’s there but it doesn’t want to open the dashboard. I’m not in the same location right now to confirm but I just checked yesterday to be sure it was set to try to become the MB. I’ve got a mix of machines running different versions of Windows, MacOS, Linux, even a couple of OS/2 Warps, and a hive of IoT critters. The PR4100 has not yet gotten them to agree that it is the boss, er, master browser.

Overnight should have been long enough for all of them to duke it out. Anyone have any ideas how to force the election process? Is the PR4100 firmware even capable of being the Master Browser on two networks simultaneously?

TIA

From /etc/samba/smb.conf

local master = no
os level = 0
preferred master = no

While official samba documentation says a master browser should look like

[global]
domain master = Yes
local master = Yes
preferred master = Yes
os level = 35

So it’s not supported out of the box, but you could tinker a bit.

Also, you better look up in the manual if the box supports 2 separate LANs… I doubt it.
Default config uses nic bonding, so you’ll first need to check these settings (on a single LAN).

Thanks for the information but I haven’t been able to discover how to access the operating system on the NAS although I did learn that it uses Debian package management. Can you tell me how to get at it?

The manual doesn’t have much to say about the Ethernet ports. The network setup examples don’t even show the LAN1 and LAN2 entry fields just showing otherwise unlabeled IP4 and IP6 entries in the figure and mentioning link aggregation in the accompanying table. Could that really be the only intended use of these two ports?

As far as having each port connected to a different LAN, file access has worked flawlessly. I really like to be able to control which network gets used for large/many file transfers.

Anyway, thanks, I’ll keep looking for how to access the OS.

Setup SSH access in the web interface. If you can’t get to the web interface, create a single LAN setup first.