Massive APFS Volume called My Cloud (Offline) on my internal disk

I’ve been trying to update my Mac OS but the latest update wasn’t taking for some reason. I looked to see how much disk space I had left using Disk Utility on Mac and to my horror I discovered that I only had less than 15GB left on my internal SSD. The vast majority of the memory was taken up by an APFS partition called “My Cloud (Offline)” - running to 95 GB (see screenshot). Why on earth is there My Cloud partition on my internal hard drive? What is it for and how do I get rid of it? At the moment it’s stopping me from updating my operating system.

@SLondon Apple File System - Wikipedia

Hello,

It’s been there and reported since 3.7.x of end of March 2020… and remained with later versions.

See here: https://community.wd.com/t/wd-discovery-3-7-214-huge-issues/249660/11?u=austinforest and there: https://community.wd.com/t/new-release-wd-discovery-3-7-214-my-cloud-home-desktop-app-sharing-feature/248755/12?u=austinforest

It’s such a shame. I don’t know what they are doing with this.

Thank you Western Digital!

By the way, as far as this is awful and shameful, it has only renamed the partition. You should know that since Catalina, macOS is creating two partitions one for the system that is protected and the other « - Data » that is for users’ data but it’s transparent within the Finder. So this issue should not be ramètes to your lack of space. Thanks to APFS, the system is able to share remaining space between different partitions of a same disk. Remove some data (like an application you would reinstall afterward) and you should be able to proceed with the update.

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ve spent the whole day sorting this out. I had to get Apple support to talk me through how to get rid of the partition and had to reinstall my operating system. Never using another WD product again. Will find a way to get my data off the thing and will look for an alternative.

1 Like

We are many to feel the same after buying this drive. I have been a loyal customer for nearly twenty years. But when it dies I’ll buy a Synology + another brand of hard drive.

What where the steps to the solution? I have the same issue and would like to resolve it.

Well first of all please do let WD support know… so they do bother to improve the whole thing.

Then, apparently, even scary as it is (changing the main hard drive name), it does not do much so you can switch it back to whatever name you had. Default is “Macintosh HD - Data” in English. It’s translated but I guess the Discovery bug makes it lose the translation.

On previous macOS version (prior to Catalina), it’s the main partition (with the OS that is being changed).

So, this happened to me as well now. Monterey 12.6.

I have to now wipe and reinstall my Mac and hope I can recover everything. How the hell is this happening. Disk utility said this corrupted the drive and I need to repair it.

1 Like