Mac mini can't see MBL...?

Hello,

I have a sudden and really unexpected problem, my Mac mini won’t see MBL on my local wireless network. It used to work just fine but then the other day I booted my mini and no MBL anywhere to find. My iMac in the other room connects to it normally and everything is ok (well, yesterday I couldn’t manage it on iMac through the web browser interface so I had to manually reboot it with the pinhole button).

So to recap, Mac mini to MBL = no

iMac to MBL = yes

iMac to Mac mini and vice versa = yes

OS X Lion on both Macs

What’s going on? I will say that MBL’s bahavior has been really flaky from the beginning (that’s a month from now), WD 2go iOS app has been unreliable and really, not being able to connect to it from my Mac mini has rendered the whole box useless as it’s sole purpose was to stream media to my living room… I’m very dissappointed so far.

Could anyone help?

If you can see it from your iMac then I would say check your settings in your mini and router. I would try to stay away from poking the pinhole… after all it is a hard drive and these guys dont like losing power while spinning. Try to log in thru the local web address and do a graceful reboot instead next time.

Is your iMac and Mini connected differently to your router? From your post, it looks like your Mini is wirelessly connected, right? Anyway you can try a LAN cable to see if you get to see the WDLive? If so, try rebooting your router, and restart your mini afterwards, reconnect to your router and check if you see the WDLive.

I had a mini in the past that had a lot of issues with WiFi connectivity. After a few firmware upgrades it worked better but was never as solid as my MacBook Pro. Not sure why since both use pretty much used the same WiFi radios inside.

Well, about the pinhole, I couldn’t access MBL even through the browser interface so it was sort of last resort… :wink: But I don’t think it just cuts the power brutally. Ii took quite a while before MBL rebooted. I guess those WD guys did something right… :smileyvery-happy:

I just restarted my router and presto! MBL is accessible from Mac mini again. Thank dog it was that simple, sort of, BUT… iTunes server is not showing on iTunes sharing. Seriously, **bleep** is going on??

No setting on my Macs have been changed, MBL has the latest update, both Macs are on wi-fi. Everything did, and should, work just nicely.

And by the way, is there a reason why I still can’t access MBL with the browser interface on Mac mini, just on the iMac? Just asking.

Cool, at least you see the MBL. I bougth this thing yesterday and I have to agree it is kind of flaky.

Its been working for me, but I wish it did shares over the web better. I found it works fine with small files, but large files give a wrong impression of the upload and download time. This is going to by parents backup device, so it has to be very easy to use.

For my own use, I have a Synology which has much better UI and is very solid… those guys do know how to make things work; it does cost 5 times however. 

No sure TBH. You should be able to see it from both. Maybe your Safari settings are different. Do you get to the log in page at least in your Mini? Or is it simply not accepting your credentials? To rule out Safari, try using Chrome or some other browser.

This could be something to do with your router and network topology. You didn’t describe any of that.

One thing you might do is set a static IP address for the MBL. You can also assign standard DNS servers to the MBL  (sometimes that helps with resolution of the name). Use the Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 as the DNS servers in the MBL static IP DNS server IPs.

WDTony wrote:

This could be something to do with your router and network topology. You didn’t describe any of that.

One thing you might do is set a static IP address for the MBL. You can also assign standard DNS servers to the MBL  (sometimes that helps with resolution of the name). Use the Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 as the DNS servers in the MBL static IP DNS server IPs.

Thanks for your reply. However, could you say that in english, please. Heh! I’m no wizard with this network stuff. Step by step instructions would be great if it’s not too much trouble…

The router is a ZTE VDSL modem+router, pre-configured by ISP. If there is something you would like to know about it and it’s setting, just ask! What kind of things should I be looking at in its settings?