Love Hate : Not broke can i take it back

hello, (wd mini media player)

Love the box and the way it works,

Hate the fact i have all my DVD/Blu-Ray’s backups in MP4, Just cued all my files up in a converter and its going to take days of constant conversion to .avi.

wont play any mp4 i tryed , will this give me the grounds to exchange the product for the HD version.?

as it does not do what it says on the tin,

i also have a few questions relateing to the HD version’s.

Can it play all mp4 files or is it designed to play a WD mp4 that no encoder has a codac for ?

when playing a blu-ray rip, can it play actual resolution or will it tamper with reso to make abest possible fit, = distorting / stretching the image?

i would be happy keeping the mini if knowing there will be an update to fix mp4 and maybe have the ablity to adjust image size so it can play 720  file…

thanks

I think they intentionally left mp4 out because it’s a reason to buy the not-mini versions of the device. The mini is good because it can play RMVB so if your in an area with limited internet capabilities, you can download smaller versions of video in low quality and watch them on your TV (they actually come out looking pretty good considering how small the files are). If your using that feature I would recommend getting an Elements Play as it has the best of both worlds in that department. If not, go with a WD TV Live (or Plus if your in the USA) even if you aren’t using the internet capabilities. This way if down the line you decide to hook it up to your network, without having to purchase a whole new box (again).

Most likely you won’t be able to exchange it unless you still can at the store you got it from. It’s worth the cost (imo) of a new one to upgrade however.