Logon Failure Bad User or Password

I have three USERS set for my MyBookLive

admin << password set

‘windowsuser’ << password set to same as my adnministrator (only user) on windows

‘anotheruser’ << no Password

DASHBOARD: I can get access to all my files on my drive through the Quickview/MyBookLive/Dashboard with the admin password as the OWNER PASSWORD.

OPEN: However, going by Quickview/MyBookLive/OPEN I get the “ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD” screen and then NO COMBINATION of username/password will work. I only get a message " Logon Failure Bad User or Password"

I do not understand the difference between the “OWNER” password and the “NETWORK” password, I guess. Can anyone please help?

Admin password and Owner password are the same thing.

The Network password is the password assigned to the user that’s trying to access the share.

That’s what I have it aall s. 

Therefore I do not understand why I cannot access the drives via MyBookLive/Open and get the bad user password message. What could cause this?

Please take and post a screenshot of the password screen you’re seeing.

The screen seen immediately after MyBookLive/Open and after each logon attempt (I experimented with variation like .\admin, …) is attached.

I discovered, too, that when I clicked MYBOOKLIVE or 192.x.x.x under NETWORK in file explorer or put it in the Windows File Explorer address bar the same thing happens. All of this is depite the correct mappings being made and the drive mappings 'reattaching after reboot and the links under COMPUTER to my two drive-mapped  folder shares in file explorer are no problem.

Then: found out if I put 192.x.x.x/SHARE or share/folder in the explorer bar it works right (no login box and the folder opens). 

So my problem only occurs to ‘top’ level links.Since no one else mentions it, I guess it is a bizarre personal copy of windows problem. If anyone can help … 

But discovering links to folders WORK I’ve solved a LOT of confusion trying to get all sorts of servers like Twonky, Servioo and Mediahome going. They’re going. (I still haven’t completely loaded all in one yet.)

Capture.JPG

1 Like

We’ll need to wait until a moderator approves your image, or you can post it to imageshack or something.

Hmmmm. Quitte odd, I think. I saw that image in the live thread  the moment it was posted. 

Why would someone go to imageshack to post an image here at the WD Live forum?

To answer my own question, and to benefit anyone that might experience this, the problem was that Windows was trying to access MYBOOKLIVE which wasn’t resolving. Simple enough!  I put a mapping of MYBOOKLIVE into my hosts file and the problem went away.

Why these, especially the Quickview OPEN, worked at the start but stopped working I cannot answer. It doesn’t seem to me that users should need to edit the hosts file themselves. Most users will start with IPs assigned differently each boot.  If something in the WD startup routines as to these standard references is missing I’d appreciate  knowing about it. 

My working hosts entries for my particular network configuration …

For example:

102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

192.168.1.36 MYBOOKLIVE
192.168.1.37 WDTVLIVE