Login Failed when logging into NAS using Network Share option

Hi:

I have a Synology NAS which I am trying to connect to using WD TV Live. If I connect using the Media Server option it is fine, but I understand when I use this option I cannot use file based subtitiles. (which seems strange).  I figured this out after the “Subtitles” button on the remote wasn’t doing anything.

So I am therefore trying to connect to Synology using the “Network Share” option instead of the “Media Server” option, so I can hopefully use subtitles. Problem is, it keeps telling me the logon failed, even though I can connect from my Mac to the NAS just fine this way. I tried my logon a few times to be sure.

Questions:

1. Am I right–there is no way to use subtitle files when connecting to the NAS using the “Media Server” option?

2. Whether the answer to 1 is “yes”, or not, why is WD TV Live incorrectly telling me I have entered incorrect logon information for my NAS drive when I connect to it as a “Network Share”?

Media server = DLNA = **bleep**. DLNA usually only supports external SRT subs. Network shares is the way to go, is your WDTV in the same workgroup as your NAS?

Yes, the NAS is in the same WORKGROUP and windows file sharing is enabled. And the WD TV Live can always see it and prompts for the login, but the login always fails, but only from WD TV.  I use the same logon to logon with Synology apps, through the web to the Synology web server, 

and I should add that  I tested mapping drive from a Windows Vista machine to the NAS and that works fine as well.

I use my WDTV Live with a Synology NAS and connect/stream with Windows filesharing.

• Before trying to use WDTV Live, make sure the NAS HDDs are spinning and not in hibernation. WDTV has a short time out for logging in and will give you an error (wrong pass) before the drives have spun up.

• Check if any options are enabled for SMBT 2 & Large MTU etc. in the NAS Win/Mac/NFS options. I donno if WDTV supports all of that. I have all of those options disabled on mine.

BTW, I always turn off the SMP completely holding the off button 5 sec. If I use normal standby it will keep waking up my NAS HDDs.

I fixed it–I went to the WD TV Live setup and did two things–I’m not sure which fixed it:

1. cleared all network share logon information

2. enabled Linux file shares (since Synology is Linux)

My guess would be 1), since the Synology shows up as a “Windows Share” in WD. Anyway, after that when I went back to logon it worked fine.