Live Hub won't add new files from shared network folder

I add a few new media files a week to a shared network folder on my PC. I bought the “Live” Hub expecting that it could monitor this folder and be used to simply play files as I added them.

That doesn’t seem to be the case; for a while, I had taken to wiping the “media library” and allowing it to rebuild. I’ve survived like this for a while, clearing the library about 3 times a week on a regular basis to account for new files. This stopgap solution is no longer working for me; it takes the Hub around 12 hours to rebuild the library (which admittedly contains a ridiculous number of files). Even letting it rebuild overnight isn’t long enough.

During these long spans, my files have to be viewed alphabetically when I need them chronologically by date added. 

My shared folder is my “Media” folder containing several subfolders: Movies, TV, Music, Photos etc. I’ve been trying to eliminate the music and photos specifically to reduce the rebuild time. However, when I change the settings of any single subfolder to “Share with: nobody,” the entire folder becomes invisible to the Hub.

This is very frustrating. I had previously used an old XP desktop to display video files on the TV which never had a single problem with instantly popping up my newly-added files in my shared folder. Can it really be that difficult to design a built-to-purpose network media player to do this???

(Shared folder is on a new, microsoft-updated Windows 7 box)

This happens to mine WD TV Live hub to, I just turn the WD TV off and then on, it takes a bit, but it shows the files. I know, is not a good solution, but…

Same thing happening with my unit as well.  Very frustrating that this has not been fixed yet since there are complaints of this issue in the forum all the way back to November.  

Simply turning on and off does nothing.  Power cycling (physically unplug) the device makes it find the new movies or TV shows but the problem with this is that it takes forever for the media to finish compiling.  Also a huge pain to get up and unplug the device every time you want it to find any new files that have been added to the networked computer.

Any elegant solutions out there?

Rubaflo wrote:

Same thing happening with my unit as well.  Very frustrating that this has not been fixed yet since there are complaints of this issue in the forum all the way back to November.  

Simply turning on and off does nothing.  Power cycling (physically unplug) the device makes it find the new movies or TV shows but the problem with this is that it takes forever for the media to finish compiling.  Also a huge pain to get up and unplug the device every time you want it to find any new files that have been added to the networked computer.

Any elegant solutions out there?

why do you unplug the device?? Just press the power button on the remote for atleast 3 seconds and re-turn it on.

Or else simply go to options and select device restart!

Or clear the media library, it will then restart to compile…

Thanks, I’ll try those.  Still doesn’t really solve the issue of items being automatically added and not waiting for the entire media library to compile every time though.

Same deal with me guys… Only that I have not experienced the outrageous lag-times, no more than 10-15min for me. But the fact that movies will not show up immediately after adding is a pain especially when ur adding 2 to 5 movies per week. I usually clear the metadata or use the “3sec” deal to rebuild. I love my hub, but the WD Live operates so much smoother especially when you have large amounts of files to access!