Listing of Large Directory using iPhone

Hi,

When using the WD My Cloud Mac OS X app, I’m able to see the list of files and folders in a folder. There are approximately 30 folders and 30 files in this folder. These files are video files, which total about 150GBs.

I’m not able to see this same directory listing in the WD My Cloud iPhone app when signed in under the same user account. Is this a known defect with the iPhone app?

lcalcote,

I would recommend double-checking the permissions assigned to the User on the mobile application. You should be able to see the same files assigned to said User as in a computer system.

I confirmed that I’m using the same user. This user is able to see other files on other folders. All folders and files were created by the same user. I experience this issue on two different iPhones and on an iPad. I believe that there’s a defect in the WD my cloud application wherein it is in capable of listing a directory of files that are large in total size (150GB), despite being low in total count (60 files).

My movies total almost 250 GB – I have no trouble browsing them on any of my devices via the Cloud apps.

510 files across 29 folders totalling 248GB.

I’m uncertain what specific combination is preventing you from browsing.

Thanks. I did discern what the issue is - the folder in question uses a custom folder icon. Creating a new folder without custom icon and moving the contents of the folder with custom icon, does allow me to view the contents through the WD My Cloud app.

It seems that the WD My Cloud app does not support viewing the contents of folders that have a custom icon.

Can you elaborate?  I didn’t even know it was possible to assign a custom icon to a NAS folder.

Is this a Mac?

Yes, this is an iMac. I assigned a custom icon ( http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10847)) to a folder to help me recognize its contents more quickly. I copied this folder to the WD My Cloud drive.

lcalcote wrote:

Yes, this is an iMac. I assigned a custom icon ( http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10847)) to a folder to help me recognize its contents more quickly. I copied this folder to the WD My Cloud drive.

Custom icons are not working with the app. That’s your problem.

Well, depending on how you’re connecting to the NAS (from the MAC), it will create one file or another.

It will create an .AppleDouble file if you’re connecting via AFP.

It will create a hidden resource fork file if you’re connecting via Samba.  Something like ._

It appears that the presense of the file is tripping up the Cloud’s mobile app service.