Lion Time Machine Compatibility

Hi All,

I know that this topic has been floating around the forums for some time, but other than finger pointing I haven’t seen any forecasts as to when a solution will be provided by WD.  I don’t care if its a month away, please let me know whether this issue is being worked on or if I need to find another backup solution.  I will gladly return my ShareSpace for an option that supports my chosen operating system.

If anyone knows whether there is a fix in the works, please share that info with me.

Thanks so much!

Jeff

I have yet to hear for WD support about any solution for this. If you can still return your ShareSpace, go ahead a do it! I would love to do that but it’s too late.

You’re better off getting a NAS that actually receives good support or by building your own FreeNAS box IMO.

Adi

There is a fix in the works for the Time Machine compatibility issue.  I don’t know when, but it should be soon.  It’s most likely is in testing now.  There is no fix for the Samba issue.  Apple stopped supporting Samba, so there’s nothing we can do about that.

adisor19 wrote:

I have yet to hear for WD support about any solution for this. If you can still return your ShareSpace, go ahead a do it! I would love to do that but it’s too late.

You’re better off getting a NAS that actually receives good support or by building your own FreeNAS box IMO.

Adi

Have you contacted Support?  Because, they don’t monitor this community.  So, if you’re expecting them to reply, they won’t.

You can contact them by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

You should probably clarify this a bit. Samba went to GPLv3 which has restrictions on licensing that prevents Apple from offering it commercially, so Apple says they are moving to Windows networking software that will support SMB2. The bigger question is whether WD will also move towards SMB2? In fact, WD may also have to evaluate Samba based on GPLv3, don’t you think?

dngovoni wrote:

The bigger question is whether WD will also move towards SMB2? In fact, WD may also have to evaluate Samba based on GPLv3, don’t you think?

That I wouldn’t know.  But I would assume that we are aware of it and are evaluating it.

Thanks for updating us. Obviously I want my ShareSpace to work or I wouldn’t have bought it. I believe that WD makes good drives from previous experience. Maybe what we’re asking for is more of an issue than I expected it to be. I just would like to see some kind of updates on the WD website for this issue. I bought the ShareSpace based on the fact that it was Mac compatible.

Another topic of interest would be just formatting the drives to HFS+. Is this possible?

Thanks!!

Can you guys make that available as an alpha (use at your own risk) type firmware update? I am having to suspend upgrade to Lion because of this stupid issue and cant seem to get any help from WD. This is the worst Product Management ever.