Link folder to "videos" item, remove other items

Hello all,

I’m coming from XBMC so perhaps I’m not looking in the right place or not searching for the right terms, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.  I’ve got my WDTV Live SMP using Media Library and it seems to be indexing the content correctly.  However, I’m wondering if there’s some way to link the “Videos” menu item to a specific folder on my NAS – the root folder for all of my movies, which then include /videos/All Movies, /videos/Children, etc.  Ideally I could click on “Videos” in the menu and simply see the different genre folders underneath my NAS’ /videos folder.  Currently I click into it and it shows Videos, Music, and Photos, all three of which are separate DNLA folders on my NAS.

The other question I have is whether or not it’s possible to remove/hide everything but Videos and Setup?  We don’t use the WDTV for RSS feeds, for example.

Thanks in advance!

with regard to the first question:

I’m not sure if I understand you correctly, but by assigning the (NAS-) videos-folder (which contains the subfolders All Movies, Children etc) as a shared folder in the Medialibrary of the smp you achieve exactly what you want. I am guessing you are currently not using the Medialibrary as content-source of the Videos-menu, but instead are using ‘Network-share’ as content-source. 

I’ve tried it both ways – currently I’m using the  Surreal Media Center theme which recommends not using Media Library, so I’ve got it off now.  Perhaps I didn’t do it correctly when I was using Media Library, I’ll check that again.

that explains it. It only works the way you want it using the Medialibrary (I am using the out-of -the-box theme, by the way)

Ok, I’ll try that then – the theme I’m using said Media Library is slower but I’d trade a bit of speed for convenience in this case.  Any ideas on if it’s possible to remove unused main menu items?

I know what you mean,  just like in XBMC, but I don’t think that is possible with the official WD- firmware, it should be an option in the Settings if it was. Maybe it is possible with unofficial firmware, I think there are some for the wd-tv live. 

Someone mentioned using Favorites to do this but when I read the manual it appears to apply to services only. Otherwise you could mark a folder as favorite and access it via dashboard.