LED won't even turn on

Hi. Got my cloud about a month ago. Working fine, then started conflicting with my PC. Came into my office 2 days ago, and no blue light. Tried unplugging, resetting the modem and pressing the reset button while plugging it back in. Nothing. I’m at a loss and I have quite a bit of data that I need on that drive. Help!

3TB My Cloud Drive

Just to make sure: unplug the power of the NAS, depress the reset button, connect the power back on and hold the reset button to at least 40 seconds.

1 Like

Just tried it. Still nothing.

So short of having to call WD tomorrow…

When you say no blue light, does that mean that you are getting power on? and perhaps a flashing white light? or a dead system?

My thoughts…

1. If no power on, no whinning of of the hard disk drive powering on, no indication of powering up… then I would guess that your power adapter is toast or the power system within the device is toast.

2. if flashing white light, then your system is initializing which might take several hours… you have to wait.

3. if it is a dead system, you could try buying a new cloud and try using just the power adapter to see if that is the problem.

1 Like

No light whatsoever. can I try another adapter from another product maybe? This is barely 1 month old.

cimmybuns wrote:

No light whatsoever. can I try another adapter from another product maybe? This is barely 1 month old.

I wouldn’t chane it because the different amps that might blow your device or not enough amperage to run it. Best to buy another cloud unit to give it a quick plug in to see if it is the adapter. If it isn’t, then it looks like a RMA.

So I should spend another 200 to test a plugin? What is RMA?

RMA is the return process to get another unit. It sounds like either a dead power supply or dead board on the MyCloud itself but as others have said, no point trying to figure it out yourself if you risk hurting your MyCloud further. Might as well just get an exchange.

But I need my data…

cimmybuns wrote:

But I need my data…

I feel with you.

1st suggestion: Open a support ticket at WD and ask them. When weather conditions are goot they might evene pay you a data recovery service.

2nd suggestion: Open the box, this will void warranty unless WD support tells you to do that.

Then you can hook the disk from MyCloud at a standard PC and recover the data .

How do you hook it to a computer? I’ll lose the 200 to get my pictures back. I’m asking basically if a noob could do it?

1. well spending $200 to buy another cloud just to test if it is the adapter is worth your while since you will be returning this new purchase. This is only to test if it is the adapter without having to send the whole thing back to WD. 

If it is the adapter, then you can get WD to perhaps send you another one.

1.  However if it is not the adapter, then you need to talk to WD about your options on how to get your data back; whether WD can help you recover your data, or

2. whether you can void your warranty by opening the case and plugging the drive into a linux computer that you can copy the data off. That last option requires a lot of expertise.

good luck

@ Cimmybunbun.

If you decide not to bring the My Cloud back. Then open it. How do you do this ? By using screw driver in the cover and open it slowly.

Then see how you pry out the HDD disk by screwing here and there and some rubber thingies. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGLJi66vxnY

http://youtu.be/LtgRBe6nBOk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDWJURWuvp8

Then lift out the HDD and carry it safely to your computer which is off ofcourse. Then open the computer, find a SATA cable and connect this to the mother board, then you connect the HDD to the Sata cable, then you connect a power supply SATA connector to the HDD as well. Then… you start the computer. Thennnn you go to Windows Explorer, then you see the HDD except when it is EXT2,3,4 formatted. But if not just NTFS you will see the HDD in the Explorer something like Drive D, E, F, G, or H, depending how many drives your have in the puter. Then… you open the HDD by clicking on it, thennn, you access your data there and then… you copy and paste it alllll to the C: drive in a TEMP folder. Then… you have back your data. Then screw the WD My Cloud together and bring it back to the shop and get a new one.

Click Kudos if this works, it works, but you just hafta have the guts for it to do it.

1 Like

LOL doesn’t sound too hard.

cimmybuns wrote:

But keep in mind: Life on earth is hard! :wink:

cimmybuns wrote:

so were you able to test out whether or not it was the power adapter today? 

Nothing is hard if you follow all the instructions carefully :slight_smile: I’ve taken apart cell phones and have replaced whole casings, batteries, screens by following the internet instructions. The saying goes… if they can do it… maybe I can :slight_smile:

The thing is… if there is no LED or sound, then we know it is either the power adapter or the board. Your hard drive is safe, just that you cannot access it until your remove it from the casing.

1 Like

Going to purchase another drive today, test the plugin. Then this weekend I may man-up and take that thing apart.

cimmybuns wrote:

Going to purchase another drive today, test the plugin. Then this weekend I may man-up and take that thing apart.

If you find that you have an extra screw, its ok, every device comes packed with extra screws :stuck_out_tongue: