LED problem?

Well ok, but who cares…

What I mean is, I am going to place the thing in my basement where I will have no idea what color the LED is. What I was thinking of doing is writing a java program that will display a nice BIG circle on my desktop that will match the color of the LED(via the software check) I tested this today, getting current  status via cat on the file(/usr/local/nas/led_color), that did not wake the MBL thus it should be doable.

Might do this next few week.

If interested in it, just email me.

Glen Lalonde

glalonde@gmail.com

www.binarysearchtree.com

Overhere the LED isn’t working also. I opened the NAS and found that the part (led) in the picture (within the red circle) isn’t working anymore. It’s named ‘CR1’. This is the led which gives us the light we normally should see on the outside.

I have the same probelm. The LED on one of my 2TB MY Live NAS drives(I have 2) is completely out. It still works perfectly, but not having the LED functioning is annoying. My other drive’s LED is fine.

Sad to say… me too.  My blue LED is malfunctioning.  Sometimes it flickers very faintly, other times it is just off (when in sleep mode).  I have two MBLs… after some time being idle, one shows a blue light, the other nothing.

My LED is also suffering deadness, but this is occasional. Sometimes I see its in standby with a blue LED most times however there is no LED. The question is to set up a RMA or not bother. As this drive is a replacement RMA I don’t know if I should bother again to get it replaced. This doesn’t reflect well on WD

Yeah it is irritating.  Whilst it probably doesn’t affect the actual performance of the drive, it is annoying that the LED doesn’t work as it should.  Am in two minds about going through the hassle of getting a replacement, even if it costs me nothing, in view of the pain of managing the transition.  This MBL is backed up to a second MBL, so I could just copy the data back off that, but I hate having to move data around too much (not only that, it is verry slow).

What is the best way to get in touch with WD support?  There is a link further up in this thread, but it doesn’t work for me.

drmrbrewer wrote:

Yeah it is irritating.  Whilst it probably doesn’t affect the actual performance of the drive, it is annoying that the LED doesn’t work as it should.  Am in two minds about going through the hassle of getting a replacement, even if it costs me nothing, in view of the pain of managing the transition.  This MBL is backed up to a second MBL, so I could just copy the data back off that, but I hate having to move data around too much (not only that, it is verry slow).

What is the best way to get in touch with WD support?  There is a link further up in this thread, but it doesn’t work for me.

Just google wd support there is a whole section on there website about rma’s

My (blue) led also died today after 8 months. What a pity :frowning: Should not happen at such an expensive product.

It is in my opinion that WD has officially ignored this thread.  It is useless to post about those LED problems anymore.

Whether they’re ignoring it or not, at least they seem to be replacing drives without quibble and at no cost to the user (except in hassle factor).

I also wonder whether there is any time limit on getting a replacement under warranty.  For example, if the LED dies after 8 months, since this doesn’t affect the actual operation of the drive, can you wait until close to the end of the three year warranty period and then request a replacement under warranty?  That way, at least you effectively extend the life of your drive, as compensation for the hassle.