LED problem?

Me thinks to restore the the firmware back to factory conditions is to download the firmware file and perform a manual firmware upgrade to overwrite the firmware that’s already there. If it refuses to upgrade then I think I did read something somewhere about altering a file that holds the firmware’s version to fool upgrade scripts into thinking a firmware upgraded is needed. Can’t see any harm doing that because you’re replacing the same with the same, but if you wish to try this then be it at your own risk.

DianneB wrote:

Same here: this LED issue has infected by 2TB drive too. Mine only red (during reboot) is flashing, no other light is on… full complete factory reset did NOT solve the issue.  WD MY BOOK LIVE 2TB.  Red comes on during boot, then LED shuts off and thats it folks.  Data accessability does not appear to be an issue and diagnostic tests pass.  How does one SSH into the drive?  I really don’t want to do an advanced RMA.

This issue is because the LED light burned out.

In the next firmware update can a function be added where the owner can enable and disable the green and blue LEDs on demand?

I’m not sure if that’s correct, because even though my LED faces the same problem, it does appear to come back once in a while. If it was burned out, wouldn’t it stay off forever?

You can add me to the list. Red LED working only! MBL 3TB Drive has been like this for 2 weeks however drive will not stop running and is very very hot too touch! Very disappointing! With so many problems you would think WD would man up,  and offer free return to base postage costs for all! I reside in Australia not US Advanced RMA is a joke! Many Thanks WD

Add another to the list of burned out green and blue led’s on my 3 TB drive purchased 4/11/11.

So, W.D. REALLY need to add an option to the MyBook Live that can turn off the blue and green status LEDs during normal use.  Maybe not make it a permanant setting?  So the status LEDs are off until the MyBook Live is rebooted or shutdown?  It’ll then be up to the user to go back into the Dashboard UI to disable the BLUE and GREEN statuses LED?  (Or maybe them if they were disabled?)

That might actually help the current hardware batch.

But it’s pretty obvious to me that it’s an over-driven LED;  too much current causing premature failure…  a design or manufacturing defect.  

LED’s should last darn near a lifetime.

Point of note. Right from square one I put a high quality surge and RFI filter between the mains power and the MBL’s transformer.  I’ve also got a surge filter sat between my cable modem and router.

Touch real wood, the LEDs on my MBL are still working.

Yeah, Mine is on a UPS, and I have a whole-house surge arrestor.   

I don’t know WHEN mine went out, because I don’t really care to see it anyway…  but when this started being reported, I looked, and sure enough, it was out.

Surge protector & filter did not help mine either

Worth examining all the options.  :smiley:

i thought that maybe my green light came back last night, but honestly it was dim and I couldn’t tell if it was blue or green :smiley:

I have the 2TB MBL that I bought about a year ago.  Recently I also noticed that the LED does not work at all, except booting, which is red.  I have tried rebooting and right now I am trying to upgrade the firmware to the latest and it’s been 3 hours the window still says “Importing File…”  I downloaded the firmware from WD website and it’s taking forever.

What’s going on?

All right, managed to update the firmare to the latest one by clicking update firmware not manually.

The LED still doesn’t light up when the hard drive is reading.  The device still works, but the LED is completely dark.

have faith, I saw both a blue light and a green light back on mine last night. not at the same time :wink:

Same thing here too guys and ladies.  Green light started working intermittently and then quit.  Drive seemed to operate fine otherwise.  I contacted WD by their help line and the response was that if the drive is not working 100% in all respects it is faulty and a potential risk to the stored data.  They offered a replacement with the RMS shipping method.  It went out today and I’m only out ALL the data that’s on it plus $5.29 for postage.  Funny thing is, this is the second replacement of a drive I purchased earlier this year which just froze up on a red light during rebooting.  I sent it back, got this replacement and now it’s going back for the LED problem. My recommendation is that if you buy one of these or receive a replacement, for heaven’s sake REGISTER THE DARNED THING because chances are it’s going to have to go back sometime and you want your waranty to be valid. Thank heavens I did that!

I understand that WD would say that the LED problem could potentially affect the data, but has anyone seen this? I really don’t want to go through the hassle of returning the drive for a malfunctioning LED that I don’t look at anyway. Then, it appears, I may get another drive with a malfunctioning LED. Plus, I don’t want to purge the data on the drive via overwrites before returning it to WD. Most disk wiping programs won’t detect NAS. The drive has a 3 year warranty. The drive serves mainly as a backup, so losing data isn’t a big issue. Any comments from the forum on my thinking?

also, you aren’t required to register your machine to receive warranty service.  just have proof of purchase or proof of RMA.

Just noticed this thread…

I only bought the thing last week and have been using it for less than a week, so it’s hard to understand that the led is burned out already.

On my 2T drive, I only see a solid green, so I’m concerned that it may not be going to sleep when not in use.

Also hard to understand the lack of support for such a clear problem.