LED not even lighting up, disk not working... Any hints?

Hello,

I am - or used to be - the proud owner of an external 2 TB large Western Digital Elements WDT-D3C.

Yesterday, in the middle of a backup operation, windows 7 “lost” sight of the hard disk, one minute it was copying files, the other minute the backup software reported the drive was missing, *poof*.

I tried unplugging and replugging both the power lines (from the power chord or from the hard disk) and the USB cable (from the computer or from the disk).

To no avail, the disk didn’t come back.

I also noticed that the LED of the enclosure didn’t work either.

The thing is, I don’t have another power chord and adaptater, so I cannot test which part is “guilty”, either something with the line and adapter, or something inside the enclosure (the parts managing power, or the part managing the hard disk itself).

Please, would you know if we can use the non-working LED as a form of evidence ?

May it, or may it not, point to a precise element (the chord, the adapter, the inside-the-enclosure adapter) ?

EDIT/UPDATE : the disk’s warranty is already over, so I’m on my own in this case.

Thank you very much if you can help with this :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Oliver

I’m in the same boat too, and very frustrated. If there is anyway to fix this issue, I hope someone speaks up. I have lots of important files on this disk drive and no way for the computer to access them.

If the drive is still in warranty contact WD they’ll probably send you a new power supply.

Joe

Hello, thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately, the hard disk’s warranty ended 13 months ago…

Hello, an update : it was indeed the power adapter thingy, the transformater I think it is called in English.

I visited an electronics shop and kindly asked if they could test it, and with a new power adapter, the LED lit up on the hard disk !

I can’t wait to come back home to test :slight_smile: